Reclaiming my youth - Another first gen Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first car was a '66 Mustang - 25A red on red - straight six, three on the floor, factory air, and a driver door that would open on right hand turns. Reading 1970ChryslerSS's daily commute in a six cylinder Granada got me thinking of the engine in my Mustang. Wonder how hard it would be to find a good example of a six-cylinder today and what I'd think about how it drove now?

I had a 99 with the 6 and it had 200hp. It was fun to drive and for a 6 was peppy. The new ones are around 300 hp... sick for a six!

My first car was a 66 Mustang straight six, 200 cubic inch. I loved it. I did some mods and dialed in the suspension with Koni shocks, the Shelby mod on the upper control arms, larger sway bars (front and rear) and stiffer springs.

I then installed a Weber progressive 2bbl carb on the log intake manifold. I milled off the single carb mount and brazed on a steel plate. It worked perfectly, once the jetting was sorted out. I had the car down to 7 seconds 0-60. Not bad for a straight six. Plus the Weber carb increased MPG quite a bit. I milled the head 060 thousandths to increase compression.

While a Mustang could not compete with a modern car, they can be made to drive quite well. Mine was certainly pleasant to own and very responsive, mostly due to the mods. In fact, in many ways, modern cars don't match it. About the only car that was more responsive was my turbo Miata.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back