reciprocating wobbly/imbalance noise above 3000 rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd Gen Rav4 (2003, 2.0L vvt-i).

where the rpm is steady at 3000rpm or above, such as driving at 120km/h (75 miles/h), ,
there is a reciprocating wobbly noise, coming from the front. It's not loud, but consistent and noticeable.

under that rpm the noise is not present.

I was thinking it could be bearings related water pump, alternator etc..

I do hear a little on off screeching noise at idle that seems like it could be a bearing, and maybe at higher rpm

torque converter? the car does struggle a bit uphill. I was thinking maybe the noise is related?

These vehicles have history of ECM issues causing transmission problems (shifting etc...), but I already had the ECM fixed and don't have shifting issues. I don't think that's the problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KGMtech
Wheel bearing? especially if you have ever hit a curb while driving in snow. Is the noise dependent on engine RPM's or vehicle speed ?

Yes, the noise depends on RPM it seem more than vehicle speed.

When it hits 3000 rpm the noise starts, usually when I'm driving consistently at 120km/h the noise is also consistent.

the wheel bearings were all replaced, the noise is definitely not the wheel bearings as I had this problem from the beginning.

Last edited:
Does revving up to 3000 in neutral with the car parked make the noise?

If not, the next test would be to get going 75 mph then shift to neutral and let the engine idle and see if the noise stops.

Originally Posted by mk378
Does revving up to 3000 in neutral with the car parked make the noise?

If not, the next test would be to get going 75 mph then shift to neutral and let the engine idle and see if the noise stops.

Thanks. I will check that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back