Recieved a SMART predict failure notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to the Computer Management window (right click My Computer > Manage)
Go to Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System
Look to see if you have any hard drive errors showing up, already. If you are flooded with them, you should be getting a new HDD and making back ups ASAP. Probably should be doing that, anyways.

I'd also highly recommend something other than Seagate. I've had around an 80% failure rate in my personal experience with them in the last 12+ years. I thought I liked them because they were "fast", but [censored], what does that matter when they go bad every 3 years? I've been through at least 10 of them in several different models. Western Digital is the only thing I'll buy, anymore. 0 failures in the few I've had, but they've always went for years until they were no longer practical due to size.

Also, chkdsk doesn't hurt anything. When a disk goes bad, you'll eventually have trouble loading into Windows... period. Chkdsk can short term fix that most of the time.

I've had a lot of experience with bad hard drives. Thanks, Seagate.

Last edited:
Coming to this thread late, but I'd also run a freeware tool called Crystal Disk Info. I've used it for several years to check up on the health of my HDD. It might let you see which category has errors, though it's probably too late anyhow. And as others have said, replacements are cheap. If you can wait until Black Friday, there might be some excellent deals.

https://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Oddly enough we just had one of our old Toshibas spit out this same message. Everything of importance is backed up so we're just gonna let it go till it croaks and get another laptop. It may be tomorrow or it may be years, we shall see. All other checks available show the HDD to be in good condition. chkdsk found no errors, Toshibas on board diagnostic said HDD was fine so screw it!

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Oddly enough we just had one of our old Toshibas spit out this same message. Everything of importance is backed up so we're just gonna let it go till it croaks and get another laptop. It may be tomorrow or it may be years, we shall see. All other checks available show the HDD to be in good condition. chkdsk found no errors, Toshibas on board diagnostic said HDD was fine so screw it!

Update, I ran Check Disk came back clean. I did backup everything just in case it croaks.
I have come to the same conclusion. It could be today or 6 years from now.

I'd get an external hdd (usb) and backup/clone the current HDD to it.

Then install a SSD drive and restore the image from the external hdd.

You can also use the external hdd for other backups, storing music, video etc.

install speedfan and look at current pending.
any at all is bad.
large numbers of reallocated bad too.
use the online check button for a good assessment.
i have seen plenty of drives i consider to be in terrible condition that have not tripped smart.
i ask customer what is the most vital stuff to go after first.
then i attempt a clone.several have died during the clone so having backed up the most important stuff meant a reload and reinstall of programs instead of a total loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back