Recent changes to beer: allergies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the suggestion of an antihistamine, I drank some Steamwhistle the other day while at a friend's and got "the issue" the next day. So I took some Advil Cold and Sinus, which has some antihistamine in it and it stopped the problem
21.gif

Not too many GMO's in beer. Malt and hops are selectively bred. And most yeast strains are naturally mutated substrains of s. cerevisiae, and not engineered. I've read of a couple of larger breweries testing with engineered strains, but nothing conclusive. You may be sensitive to certain yeast strains and some of their fermentation by products.

Most large breweries do not use clarifying agents as they either filter or centrifuge the beer, so I think it's probably not a clarifier giving you problems.

I was going to suggest you had an intolerance to wheat, but German beers tend to have wheat in them.

The last thing I can think of is I know a couple people who have an allergy to peanuts, and also have an allergy to a particular barley malt, called brown malt, that has peanut like compounds in them.

Oh, do you have issues with red wine?

Originally Posted By: striker456
Not too many GMO's in beer. Malt and hops are selectively bred. And most yeast strains are naturally mutated substrains of s. cerevisiae, and not engineered. I've read of a couple of larger breweries testing with engineered strains, but nothing conclusive. You may be sensitive to certain yeast strains and some of their fermentation by products.

Most large breweries do not use clarifying agents as they either filter or centrifuge the beer, so I think it's probably not a clarifier giving you problems.

I was going to suggest you had an intolerance to wheat, but German beers tend to have wheat in them.

The last thing I can think of is I know a couple people who have an allergy to peanuts, and also have an allergy to a particular barley malt, called brown malt, that has peanut like compounds in them.

Oh, do you have issues with red wine?

Nope, no issues with red wine.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Have you tried Creemore Springs beers? All natural with no preservatives. Its the only beer I will drink.

Mmmmm...good stuff!

OVERK1LL, it's just age man, catches up with all of us!

Originally Posted By: striker456

If it's traditional Barley malt all is problably good (and hopefully you're right about barley not being GMO). However, it's possible to also make malts from other grains, including wheat. Given that this would save high volume breweries a lot of money, it would make sense for them to use some wheat in their malt.

And in the news this year was the Monsanto contamination of much of the wheat production with their lab GMO (which is not even approved by the FDA), at least here in Oregon.

I had a Belgian wheat beer the other night (20oz'er) and it was fine, no reaction.

In fact I haven't had a reaction at all since cutting the known suspects from my diet. I've still experimented, I tried a Paulaner Octoberfest (absolutely WONDERFUL beer!!!
thumbsup2.gif
) and a few other Euro beers and my colon has not been providing me with any negative feedback, LOL!
wink.gif

I used to love beer, especially wheat beers and hoppy ales (IPA, Belgians, etc.) A few years ago I started noticing that all of them seemed to make me feel bloated and lethargic. Distilled spirits are what I enjoy now. Perhaps these are just changes in your body and metabolism over time? I have been hearing from friends and reading that many of us who are right around that big five-O point seem to have acquired varying levels of lactose intolerance. So, changing tastes and tolerances may be a natural part of aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back