Reccomend flatbed scanner for cheap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi just looking for a very basic color scanner to occasionally scan items that would be suitable for scanning rather than taking a picture. I was looking now and many seem expensive. I guess I would spend maybe around $50. I remember buying one on sale back around 2002 for only like $25 or $30. I was trying to search on Amazon but they limit the search results so much when you sort by price it is basically useless.

I got the Epson V37 a couple of years ago, and for the price it's quite nice. My guess is the V39 linked to above is its updated version, so it should be just as good or better.

Go to Goodwill or look on craigslist for 3-in-1 scanner-printer-faxes. Everyone has one that ran out of expensive ink that they're giving away.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll have to do some more research. I already have a cannon mf227dw laser all in one, but there were just some other reasons I was looking for just a basic scanner.

I don't know what the deal is with printers nowadays. Wife's perfectly good printer needed ink. Went to Walmart to get the cartridges and they cost more than a brand new (and better) printer. Bought the new printer and threw the old one away. Crazy...

Originally Posted by JR402
Thanks for the ideas, I'll have to do some more research. I already have a cannon mf227dw laser all in one, but there were just some other reasons I was looking for just a basic scanner.
\

What other reasons? Details matter.

The cheap scanners tend to do best at high contract, black text on white paper, and are poor at grayscaling and especially 3D objects, anything that is not perfectly flat, same focal distance as a piece of paper.

As far as an AIO printer, if you go too cheap there you also get a low quality scanner.

If you only need low quality B&W text paper scanning then your budget is reasonable given some deal hunting. If that's not all you need, spend a bit more.

You are not likely to get a higher quality scanner than built into your AIO for only $30, BUT, if the problem is the software interface, a different brand might suit you more.

Originally Posted by double vanos
I don't know what the deal is with printers nowadays. Wife's perfectly good printer needed ink. Went to Walmart to get the cartridges and they cost more than a brand new (and better) printer. Bought the new printer and threw the old one away. Crazy...

I know many folks that have been doing this for over 10 years now.... old ones sometimes go to goodwill.

I'm the only person I know that actually refills ink cartridges.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by double vanos

I know many folks that have been doing this for over 10 years now.... old ones sometimes go to goodwill.

I'm the only person I know that actually refills ink cartridges.

That only works if the new printer doesnt come with half full starter cartridges.

I use a V39 with the laptop for scanning stuff (photos and documents) on the run. USB powered so no brick to bother with. Probably best bang for the buck if you need high quality photo scans once in awhile. Its not my V600, but then it is portable. Very good Software.

Canon LiDE90- the V39 replaced this one. Good scanner, mediocre software. Conversely Canon all in one and office products have great print/scan software...go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back