Recall for 2020 - '21 KIA Soul and '21 Seltos

Hmmm I guess 1 in 100 airline flights crashing is ok then?

/sarcasm

*non/Kia/Hyundai believer walks away whistling*

“Still, when a technician inspects each Seltos or Soul and finds an affected car, the vehicle will need a completely new engine. Kia will cover all work and parts at no charge to the customer, but this will be a big job. The brand will also install a new piece of software to better monitor the issue going forward. Owners of affected vehicles will start to receive notices in early June”

My question is, how are they gonna really know, short of symptoms, which ones have the bad rings? Seems to me they would know the exact VINs of the vehicles affected. Unless they are just “drive it till it happens” mode..

Sounds like they're doing the knock sensor thing like they did with the 2.4. Drive until code thrown, replace engine.

Again? Yep, already saw it. I have a 19' Sorento that's good but holy :poop:!!! Instead of creating the next truck like the weird looking Santa Cruz truck, maybe they could focus on quality control and start making vehicles that don't catch fire.

“Still, when a technician inspects each Seltos or Soul and finds an affected car, the vehicle will need a completely new engine. Kia will cover all work and parts at no charge to the customer, but this will be a big job. The brand will also install a new piece of software to better monitor the issue going forward. Owners of affected vehicles will start to receive notices in early June”

My question is, how are they gonna really know, short of symptoms, which ones have the bad rings? Seems to me they would know the exact VINs of the vehicles affected. Unless they are just “drive it till it happens” mode..

The inspection process is actually tearing down the engine. If there is damage visible during the tear down the vehicle gets a new engine. Otherwise, they put it all back together and give it back to the owner. At that point, it becomes "drive it till it happens".

This whole recall just sucks for owners and dealers. Owners will end up with a car that either had the engine torn down and put back together, or a whole new engine. Dealers have to deal with tearing down and reassembling engines, or doing entire engine swaps, and the issues that can go along with that.

KIA, "Movement that inspires". Yeah, inspires owners to trade and move on to another brand...

Back