Rebuilt 454 in motorhome, oil weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lied about the oil consumption.

The previous owner said he'd have to add 1 qt every 2k.

He has no idea who the shop put in it but he knows it was 15w40

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I never got a ballot, the Russians must of hacked my account.

Our records show you voted------------------TWICE

ROD

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: c502cid
Originally Posted By: leroyd92
Thank you for clearing that up for me I'm not am engine builder.

My friend just told me he typically used 1qt every 4500 miles. So it seems like the motor is happy with. 15w40

Either your friend is fibbing or I want the name of that engine builder! A big block that uses 1 qt every 4500 miles!

It's possible. A lot of the marine big blocks we do go 100 hours of a lot of high rpm operations, and we get out as much oil as we put in in the first place.

On-topic:

Those who are saying thick oil for the valvetrain are correct. BBC valvetrains are not exactly happy with constant high rpms, and a motorhome will give you exactly that. Consider 15w-40 your minimum. I'd run a 20-50 if it were me.

Using VR1 and Schaeffer 20-50, we've been regularly beating the wear universal averages while running the oil twice as long as the universal averages.

Curious.... I have a 94 Fleetwood Southwind Storm with a Chevy 454 TBI and I run only Valvoline 10w-30 VR1 racing with a Mobil 1 Exttended perf filter. I currently set the OCI at 4k or once a year. It's been a year today it only 1,803 miles. Planning a trip (08/14/17-08/30/17) to southern ca. From Seattle area. Should I just roll with it and change it when I return?

Last edited:
I would run it. No way that oil is used up. In a M/H the oil gets up to temp quickly, so any moisture(if any) is gone and the ad pack should still be good to run.

ROD

Run it and then change it. Are you running VR-1 Silver bottle, or Black bottle?

There are some VR-1's that are not appropriate for daily use. The add pak is for racing use only and assumed changed after each event ... It's excellent oil, it's the add pack that needs clarification ...

If you want to run a 30 multi and a longer life oil, you might consider Chevron Delo 15W-30 SD (severe duty). It's also an excellent oil. Just an option
smile.gif

All these motor home engines tend to spin and run a bit warm. It mostly depends on how well the MH MFG implemented the cooling strategy ... My bud's is a nightmare with A/C condenser and oversized tranny cooler all in front of the radiator
frown.gif

We've been moving things around to actually cool that BBC some
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: udidwht
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: c502cid
Originally Posted By: leroyd92
Thank you for clearing that up for me I'm not am engine builder.

My friend just told me he typically used 1qt every 4500 miles. So it seems like the motor is happy with. 15w40

Either your friend is fibbing or I want the name of that engine builder! A big block that uses 1 qt every 4500 miles!

It's possible. A lot of the marine big blocks we do go 100 hours of a lot of high rpm operations, and we get out as much oil as we put in in the first place.

On-topic:

Those who are saying thick oil for the valvetrain are correct. BBC valvetrains are not exactly happy with constant high rpms, and a motorhome will give you exactly that. Consider 15w-40 your minimum. I'd run a 20-50 if it were me.

Using VR1 and Schaeffer 20-50, we've been regularly beating the wear universal averages while running the oil twice as long as the universal averages.

Curious.... I have a 94 Fleetwood Southwind Storm with a Chevy 454 TBI and I run only Valvoline 10w-30 VR1 racing with a Mobil 1 Exttended perf filter. I currently set the OCI at 4k or once a year. It's been a year today it only 1,803 miles. Planning a trip (08/14/17-08/30/17) to southern ca. From Seattle area. Should I just roll with it and change it when I return?

Run it. That oil is is no way used up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back