Rebuilding Briggs Stratton carb...

I tried starting my B&G gas operated air compressor. It has a B&G 5 HP engine, It has this carb. It only runs when I shoot starting fluid or gas down the carb. I've tried the choke like always and nothing. Anyone familiar with this carb? It's off of a craftsman 5HP air compressor from around '94

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 71
Looks like an old briggs pulsa-jet carb. Is the tube that goes down into the fuel tank free and clear? Gas cap on the tank has to be able to breathe with a pulsa-jet too.

Sometimes you have to fill the gas tank as full as you absolutely can to get gas into the bowl. These carbs pump the fuel from the bottom of the tank into a “bowl” that then gets sucked into the jet. If it has been sitting a while the Diaphragm and all the tubing can’t suck up fuel to fill the bowl and thus won’t stay running even if you start it with fluid or gas dribbled in it. One both tubes get submerged and it runs a bit they will start working.

Or it could be plugged with crap and need to be completely taken apart and cleaned.

Have you looked for a cheap Chinese new one on EBAY? If often cheaper and easier to buy a new one than try and rebuild it. And you should have an ultrasonic cleaner to do a good job of cleaning. If there is corrosion in the valve seat then I am not sure what you do besides replace the carb. The rebuild kits include a new valve but not a new seat (in what I have seen).

My first carb rebuild was a pulsa jet! We didn't have youtube back then but the job is pretty straightforward. Google "pulsa jet rebuild video" and you will find lots of good info.

Personally, I would just replace the whole carb, as suggested above, for about $15 (versus about $12 for the rebuild kit).

Almost not worth wasting $ on a kit or parts, unless its a show piece. A new carburetor on amazon is about as much as a kit.

My 5 HP Mongomery Ward Generator was dying after a short run. I thought it was the carb, but I checked compression when it quit and it was like 25. What happened on mine was that the exhaust valve had stretched enugh that it was not closing when the motor warmed up. I removed the valve and ground off enough metal for .006 clearance cold. Intake was good. Starts and runs like new now.

Got it going!!!! I just replaced the diaphragm and base gasket, along with poking the main jet orifice to open it back up. I then added a tablespoon of gas and it fired up like never before. It ran good. Thanks to all here for helping me out!!

Back