Rebuilding AC hoses, 1984 Cavalier

I found the GM bulletin for the field repair of these. Do you think the hose clamp will work as well as a ferrule, as in, it will seal as well as a ferrule?
Absolutely. Ive run many many miles of a/c hose on R12 cars with 3 barb fittings and hose clamps without comebacks and my Dad has done hundreds more in his 50 years in this business.

My 1984 Cavalier has AC hoses with crimp fittings that look like this:

View attachment 113079

I'd like to replace these hoses with newer barrier hoses. No pre-assembled hoses are available for this car.

Can I just cut the crimps off and re-crimp barrier hose to the fittings, or will I need to prepare the fittings by sanding the barbs so that they won't damage the liner on the barrier hose?

By the way, it's been sitting parked for about 12 years and the AC still has some pressure in it. Not enough to work, but enough to get a little psst when the schrader valve is pushed.
If the aluminum line under that crimp is not damaged,flattened etc you can reuse them. They usually get damaged when crimped at the factory though.

go to Thermo King and get hoses and fittings there. That's what I use to repair systems, replace hoses, etc. EZ Clip system is really good for that.

If you have a "good" Thermo King, they might even make the hoses for you.

Back