Rebuilding AC hoses, 1984 Cavalier

My 1984 Cavalier has AC hoses with crimp fittings that look like this:

1660850304001.jpg

I'd like to replace these hoses with newer barrier hoses. No pre-assembled hoses are available for this car.

Can I just cut the crimps off and re-crimp barrier hose to the fittings, or will I need to prepare the fittings by sanding the barbs so that they won't damage the liner on the barrier hose?

By the way, it's been sitting parked for about 12 years and the AC still has some pressure in it. Not enough to work, but enough to get a little psst when the schrader valve is pushed.

You might be able to go to a place that builds hi pressure hoses and get them replaced. I’ve had tons of hydraulic hoses made but never asked if they can do ac hoses.

There are still a couple shops here in the Milwaukee area that fabricate hoses, either with the old fittings or sometimes with new ones. I had a place make one up a few years ago and they did a great job. NAPA also sells some hose and some fittings you attach yourself.

go to Thermo King and get hoses and fittings there. That's what I use to repair systems, replace hoses, etc. EZ Clip system is really good for that.

Find hydraulic shop or racing shop in your area.
They can rebuild those high pressure hoses and pressure test them after rebuild.
If the fitting is still good, they can reuse them.

I have done this for AC hose and brake hose.

If there is still some pressure they should be good. It's not still running R12 is it?

Yes, it is still running R12, and while I have a partially full cylinder of R12 to fill it with, I'd rather just convert it to R134a and be done with it. I'm pretty sure it leaks somewhat because that cylinder of R12 is a 30lb cylinder that I'm sure my dad was using to refill this thing, and it doesn't have nearly 30lbs in it.

Already figured out that the stock DA6 compressor is no good for R134a and so I found a rebuilt HR6 4-seasons on Rockauto (wholesaler closeout) for $80.

Whats in your picture is what GM called reusable hose ends. Back when that car was new, hose assemblies were not particularly available. GM designed that hose to be serviced by cutting the sleeve off, carefully cutting the hose off and installing new hose with a refrigerant hose clamp. It works well with R12 and I would keep the system R12. They never worked well with R134a and usually leaked.

Talk to a parts store that's not a massive corporate entity... I have one in my area that has a store in their network that can build them to spec. Another option is to talk with someone like ap aire and buy hose and crimps then have them cinched down by a shop

Barrier hose doesn't work with that type of barbed fittings. Barrier hose is several layers which can slide apart unless the crimp ring locks the outside of the hose to the fitting like the 3 on the right:
1661007210558.jpg

Barrier hose doesn't work with that type of barbed fittings. Barrier hose is several layers which can slide apart unless the crimp ring locks the outside of the hose to the fitting like the 3 on the right:
View attachment 113344
Barrier hose works just fine with a 3 barb fitting. The early fear with barrier and a 3 barb was that 3 barb would cut the barrier but over the last 30 years that has proven not to be the case. I have hundreds of miles of barrier hose out there with 3 barb fittings on R12 cars

Barrier hose works just fine with a 3 barb fitting. The early fear with barrier and a 3 barb was that 3 barb would cut the barrier but over the last 30 years that has proven not to be the case. I have hundreds of miles of barrier hose out there with 3 barb fittings on R12 cars

I looked at some spec sheets for barrier hose and they all have a neoprene or elastomeric liner below the barrier layer. What I read on some other forums lead me to believe that the nylon barrier layer was actually the liner and as such is prone damage from barbs, but that seems to not be the case. Maybe barrier hose USED to be made that way?

1661049227821.jpg

What type of ferrule do you use for that? Will the average hydraulic hose shop (here we have Colliflower, which is a Parker distributor) know what to use?
Those hoses were designed to be field repaired with hose clamps not ferrules. https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/ac-hose-clamps-with-indicator-tab The tab rests against the end of the hose and properly locates the clamp to be tightened. I use a cut off wheel to cut the sleeve off the original then a utility knife or razor blade to slice the hose open to remove the fitting. Lubricate the barb on the fitting and the inside of the hose with 525 SUS a/c mineral oil (I like AC Delco 15-117, its also the correct compressor oil for your car with R12) and push the fitting into the new hose until the hose hits the stop then tighten the hose clamp.

Parflex 80 had the nylon inner liner but that hasnt been available in many many years, it didnt work well to start with.

Gm Service bulletin 8540 includes the information on field repair of those hoses

Back