Rebuild complete, off the stand and on the hook.

Mate it up with the transmission tomorrow and get it into the car.
20201222_001437_resized.jpg
20201222_001510_resized.jpg

Looks great.
The manifold will cook off that overspray.

rebuild threads take me back to my very first rebuild as a kid -so exciting

Firing it up for the first time was an event rivaling the first manned flight.

Yeah, overspray, drips, bare spots...the worlds worst engine paint jobs from the factory in the 1960's. The paint on the body wasn't much better. This car is a 1964 Plymouth Fury that started life with a 318 poly and pushbutton transmission. It is now a 440 and will have the cable shift console transmission and a delete plate where the pushbutton's used to reside.

Why not stick a carb and distributor in it while on the stand and fire it up before installing? Would hate to have to take it back out if there was even a minor issue that only can be addressed with the engine out.
As I got older and had more money I tuned everything on a dyno.

Found a lot of problems when they were easy to fix - most common was an intake manifold leak.

Why not stick a carb and distributor in it while on the stand and fire it up before installing? Would hate to have to take it back out if there was even a minor issue that only can be addressed with the engine out.
Ring gear is part of the torque converter on these Mopars. So the transmission has to be installed. Once the tranny is on you have to fill it with fluid and run the cooler lines and adjust the rooster comb and parking pawl lock. Easier to just install. Wish I had a dyno. I have rotated it through by hand several times and felt each plug hole for suck and blow. I have done some rough measurements of valve opening at the rocker. I am confident that mechanically the engine is ok.

Exciting! These days I’m a little intimidated breaking in a flat tappet cam but I’m sure you’ve got high zinc oil in the sump. The last one I did used Valvoline VR1 Racing oil. Fan in front of radiator, no thermostat, and varied engine speed from 1,000 to 2,500 rpms for 30 minutes. Drained the oil, changed the filter, refilled with same VR1, installed thermostat and all is well.

Yeah, overspray, drips, bare spots...the worlds worst engine paint jobs from the factory in the 1960's. The paint on the body wasn't much better. This car is a 1964 Plymouth Fury that started life with a 318 poly and pushbutton transmission. It is now a 440 and will have the cable shift console transmission and a delete plate where the pushbutton's used to reside.
In the mid year and early shark Corvette years, the overspray is mandatory in restorations.
It is done with a piece of cardboard.

Your car is gonna be very cool. Enjoy it.

Long Live MOPAR -- looking forward to more and more progress pictures and maybe -- a You Tube video of it started and running if you can pretty please!!! ;)

Dale

Can't you bolt a flywheel to the crank? Or turn it over at the crank pulley or however they start a dragster?
Starter uses the transmission bellhousing for one of the two bolts. Believe me when I tell you I would much rather start it before install but there are no easy paths for this. I used HPL break in oil, that combined with all the high ZDDP assembly lube should be enough I'm thinking. The neighbors are going to be pis sed with the noise and smoke from the initial ywenty minute1500-2000 rpm break in run. No mufflers, open manifold.

Yes your neighbors will “love” you! I never liked first start and cam break in to be done without mufflers. I felt like I couldn‘t hear if there was something strange going on in the engine.

Got the tranny mated to the engine and the whole shebang in the car. No pictures as I was working alone. The front end of the car is loooooow. Nothing like 500+ pounds to sag the suspension. I will eventually twist some spring into the torsion bars and get the front end back up where it belongs.

I love these older vehicles! Great to see you keeping it roadworthy! Is this a restoration or a resto-mod?

Back