Reasons not to overstock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can sense the excitement in these forums when you come across an unexpected supply of premium oil; either rare, like GC or another, say M1 at a great price. But dont you find that when you have plenty you subconciously change your oil more frequently than would be the case if your stock was in short supply?

Also if you have tooo much that it might be a long while before you get through it, that you are envious when a 'new and improved' oil comes down the pipe?

Just some things to think about.

your right. I have caught myself from changing dino to 3k oci to use up my 140 plus quart stash. I usally try to go 5k. I'm going to get a new car by the end of the year and I want to run full syn in it. (I've never used full syn before) I may go to walmart to lessen my stash load a bit. If you know what I mean
wink.gif

I am actually moving to longer OCIs. Historically I have been a 3000'er. Now I look forward to 4000 - 5000 depending on how clean the engine internals are (been working on that too). My pickup will hit 3000 today and I have no intention of changing. Should be good for 5000 miles as it is NAPA synthetic and the manual specifies 5000 miles.

Also, I am not worried about better stuff coming along as my stash is mostly SL and I like that.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
your right. I have caught myself from changing dino to 3k oci to use up my 140 plus quart stash.

140 qs! I guess to put this in perspective I should know how many vehicles you do oil changes for.

Anyone with just a couple of vehicles got this beat? Now that I look up I see TallPaul has 180.

I am with Paul. I used to be a 3k no matter what. I have now gone to 7500 on one car and 5000/6 months on the other.
While it is tempting, I have thought of dumping my RP 1000 miles early so I could get the Gold GC in there to start my run with it, but why waste good oil. I need a UOA on the RP to see if it will be my replacement for GC if the Gold does not work out.
That and I run 7500 miles in about 4 months, so I don't have to wait that long. Plus I have several family members that live close by and I can change their oil if I really get the bug.

OT: Paul you need to change your sig to SL RULES!!!

You got me thinking, of all my 107 or so qts, only 10 are SM (5 MaxLife, didn't realize when I bought them, and 5 Mobil 5000). 2 are SJ.

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
your right. I have caught myself from changing dino to 3k oci to use up my 140 plus quart stash.

140 qs! I guess to put this in perspective I should know how many vehicles you do oil changes for.

Anyone with just a couple of vehicles got this beat?

there was an annoynmous moderator with 300+ quart oil stash. I actually change oil in three vehicles. two listed in my signature, my dad's sentra, and a new car for my soon to be wife. four at the end of the year.
tongue.gif

Luckly, my stash of API SL syns are great for my pre '05 vehicles.

I still have (5) B3G3F M1 coupons I have to use before Dec 31st, so I will have a supply of API SM SYN for any future vehicle purchase covered.

I'm acutaly doing longer OCI's now b/c of the switch to SYN.

I love paying between $0.30 - $0.50 on the dollar for quality SYN's.

Thanks AutoZone and PepBoys!

The sales and collections has only put me into higher quality oils and a need to experiment with longer OCI's I am a recovering 3k mile OCI man and just got done with a 5500 mile run with Valvomaxsyn. The next one will be too the 6 month or 7500 mile mark.

So nope I onluy stashed enogh for about two years on two vehicles. I am seeing if the dealer is ever going to send an oil change reminder for "their" lease vehicle on that German ***
wink.gif

I had a quart of SF, and 4 quarts of SH, both were halvoline products 10w-40
shocked.gif
. They went into the junker and it didn't seem to be too bothered about this change. The oil didn't come out any lighter or darker than any other oil change that went through that car. I wish I would have done a UOA, but since it's the junker it wouldn't be worth doing. It was pretty much done because the person who owns the junker wanted the oil used. Baah, that thing has been a guinea pig for many things, just no visible rust when looking from the outside on that one yet, just a little on the inside bottom of the front doors.

quote:

I am a recovering 3k mile OCI man

lol.gif

Yes, a crippling afliction. You got take it one OCI at a time. With help and enough support, you too can break the bonds of the 3m/3k prison.
grin.gif

I don't have near the stash that some here have ..but I've got more than enough to go a few years in the 6 cars that I maintain ..or help maintain (son's two). You're right ..oils are evolving very rapidly and you're stuck with NOS.

But you just can't let sale oil get by you. It's not a natural act.

I spilled 5q of syn for my buddy's truck. I had extra on hand and it saved another trip to the store. If that truck was the only vehicle home and I had no extra inventory, we'd been stuck like a pig in the mud.

Hi,

I change for 5 cars and just went over 200 Quarts in my "reserve"!
gr_eek2.gif

It's REAL HARD to turn down .89 cents a quart Castrol GTX or Cheveron for .49 cents a quart.
fruit.gif

Both in SL or SM.. Your choice...

Saves me $$ for UOAs... I get a Oil change, Filter and UOA for under $20 (I am sick....)
grin.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step, Bill.
cheers.gif

I do not have a problem...
spaz.gif

(I may have a slight problem once I get over 300 quarts...)
grin.gif

quote:

Looking for a sponsor?

With all the oil I have, I can sponsor a team!

Thats it, I'll give free oil for a spot on a car.. Bobistheoilguy.com stickers...

(ok, I am sick....really sick..)
rolleyes.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I've got 79L of green GC, but I'm moving to longer OCIs on all my cars, just to preserve this stash even longer! I'm even considering switching my dad's Volvo XC70 over to gold GC, that way I don't need to keep supplying him with green GC like I have been doing all along. Then the 79L will last much much longer (since he does 3 to 4 oil changes per year-at 7500 miles each)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I've got 79L of green GC, but I'm moving to longer OCIs on all my cars, just to preserve this stash even longer! I'm even considering switching my dad's Volvo XC70 over to gold GC, that way I don't need to keep supplying him with green GC like I have been doing all along. Then the 79L will last much much longer (since he does 3 to 4 oil changes per year-at 7500 miles each)

Starting to get a little greedy huh?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back