Reasons NOT to go with an Over-sized filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concours14 recently posted regarding an over-sized filter for his Subaru.

Rather than appear to be trying to hijack his thread, I wanted to ask if space restrictions are not an issue, what reasons exist for NOT going to an over-sized filter?

I've always used an OEM spec sized filter on my rides over the years without issue, though with the current "thimble" on my 2014 Altima (M-1 108), I'm thinking of trying to " upsize."

Thanks.

Try a Mobil 1 - 110 instead, it is a Fram 7317...
A third longer, same base and bypass pressure...

Well, you might not want the extra filter area exposed to the flow of oil because it might make a tiny improvement in filtering. Also you'd have a few ounces of extra oil in the system and who wants to invest more money in maintenance than is absolutely necessary. Just remember that with any topic concerning your vehicle no matter what position you might take someone will tell you you're wrong and without a single fact and lacking any evidence will explain where you went wrong. Just make sure the larger filter fits correctly, has the correct by-pass setting and you're done.

You can start with a cross-reference check. Link

Then you can move on to specs Link

I use a larger Mobil 1 filter on my 03 V8 Toyota 4Runner, an M1-209. The larger filter is the same price and the bypass is exactly the same. So, I use a larger filter. Maybe it only makes me feel better about taking better care of my 4Runner and that's good enough for me.

Main reason, if something filter related happens to the engine, filter warranty would not apply. Also, if under vehicle manufacturer warranty, same thing could be an issue. I'll add not a likely event, but needs to be noted.

That said, assume you're referring to the thimble size 6607/14612 application on the Nissan. Never seen a Nissan/Infinti application where the longer 7317/14610 wouldn't fit. And other than being longer, specs are the same. Son ran the 14610 in his G37S with no issues.

Now informed, your call.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
As long as the bypass valve is the same PSI, no good reason not to use an oversized oil filter.

+1, My feelings exactly.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

You can start with a cross-reference check. Link

That cross reference check doesn't even have the Motorcraft FL 820 S in it's database. I tried.

Last edited:
I don't see Any reason to use the bigger filter. my filter on my Nissan is tiny and when I cut the filters open around 6000km the filter only looks wet with oil. No particles whatsoever in it so I'm thinking the holding capacity is waaaay larger than needed. Unless there was a major sludge problem then I'd think about it.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I don't see Any reason to use the bigger filter. my filter on my Nissan is tiny and when I cut the filters open around 6000km the filter only looks wet with oil. No particles whatsoever in it so I'm thinking the holding capacity is waaaay larger than needed. Unless there was a major sludge problem then I'd think about it.

Agree!

No reason NOT to use what the manufacturer specs.

The particles the filter media normally traps is not visible to the eye. I say, the bigger the better, except for the problems already mentioned.

Should you be one that only changes the filter every second oil change, then you are leaving more dirty oil in the engine with a bigger filter.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
That cross reference check doesn't even have the Motorcraft FL 820 S in it's database. I tried.
It's under Ford.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Make sure the longer length does not decrease ground clearance, especially with lowered vehicles.

This is a problem on lowered Corvettes.

This ^^^^

Also, on my 1MZ-FE the oil filter is located between the rad and the exhaust manifold. I use the oversize filter for this application which decreases the distance from the manifold to the canister. I always wonder if heat transfer is cause for concern.

Some are saying filters get better with more use, so a tiny filter gets better faster according to that theory. My only concern would the bypass setting and the way the oil flows around at the baseplate. There may be an identical longer thimble for the Nissan. The 4 cyl Camry uses an identical can filter, except it's longer, than the Prius or Yaris filter. So I use the longer one, as it is identical in diameter and bypass setting.

Devil's advocate here...if the larger filter fits and is "better" (however you want to define that), why wouldn't the manufacturer have used it in the first place?

Other than the "one in a million" faulty filter claim concerns, I see not a single disadvantage to an oversize and some minute potential advantages. Plus it's kinda fun to cheat.

Even the Fram rep who posts here has admitted he oversizes on his own vehicles, even though Fram (or any other filter manufacturer) will not warrant any claim if you deviate from the "spec" filter.

Of course great care must be taken to ensure you are crossing/oversizing correctly.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Devil's advocate here...if the larger filter fits and is "better" (however you want to define that), why wouldn't the manufacturer have used it in the first place?

The Mo-090 (Fram xx16) is the spec'd filter for my Jeep. Chrysler designed the filter and Fram built their product around that. The FL1A (Fram xx8a) was built for older Fords and Fram built their product around that. Mopar vs. Motorcraft. 3/4-16 is just a popular thread size and the bypass specs are fairly universal. (or exact in this case.) Same with the FL400s. Chrysler doesn't recognize the filter because its not for their products. Motorcraft most likely doesnt spec the FL1A for a FL400s application because of fitment issues.

Long story short, the different sized filters with same bypass and thread spec's are for different vehicle makes and deemed non existant to other car manufactures.

From what i can tell, the 3.8 in the Wrangler JK is spec'd for the smaller version of the Mo-090 only because of a fitment issue. The Chrysler vans up to a certain year are still spec'd for the Mo-090 IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back