Reason for the high furnace replacement cost

The other big issue is the Warranty. The unit has to be installed by a licensed shop who is reconized by the manufacture and distributor as properly trained to do the installation.

The other big issue is the Warranty. The unit has to be installed by a licensed shop who is reconized by the manufacture and distributor as properly trained to do the installation.
I think that's the reason people complained about Goodman, everyone can install it so many times the problem is the installer. Whereas the more reputable brands will not sell to public and only to their own certified people, so they can control the quality of the install and therefore a higher cost / higher margin / higher quality result.

I remember reading somewhere that the way to get a quality Goodman is to get a guy who also does the better brands and have him install the Goodman for you.

Assuming it is the correct solder, brazing in a residential HVAC system is not only unnecessary it can also be counterproductive:

Sil-Fos is silver and other metals in an alloy. The main thing is to use no flux. I was in heating and air til I injured my back. Sure, silver solder works but is more expensive and basically designed for dissimilar metals. Brazed a lot of line sets in my day. Since my injury, I am a Combination Building Inspector/ Plans Examiner now With specialty in plumbing and mechanical. HVAC mechanics in my area still braze copper and brass with Sil-foss. Flux in line sets is a serious NO- NO.

I recently got bids for installing a high efficiency ductless mini split system.

The bids were so far out of line it was ridiculous. The lower cost option was in the $15,000 range, better stuff was $20,000. All of the electrical was already in place.

I did all my research, then purchased the tools and mini split system and installed it myself. All-in it was less than $4,000 for everything. I did give up the warranty doing it this way, but I could do it 4 times over and still be ahead. Had I called in an HVAC technician to do the charging and startup, the warranty would be intact.

Since it came in well under budget, and it was so easy to install, I ordered another system for my shop.

If you visit forums discussing mini split installations this is a common complaint. The labor to install such a simple system is frequently quoted so high it's a more of a scam. Being relatively new to the US market homeowners don't know what's involved.

The system cut my cooling bill in the summer by $50 per month. Heating in the winter appears to be tracking at about $150 per month less.

It's also more comfortable because it's not turning on and off constantly, it ramps up and down as needed to keep a constant temperature.

Back