Reason for GTX Synblend Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was inspecting the bottles I got from Autozone.

Noticed that I couldn't see inside the bottles where the measure marks (1/4 1/2 3/4) were embossed. There is no clear strip to look into.

Is this a bottle design error and a reason for putting it on clearance?

What do your bottles look like?

Castrol doesn't use the clear strip for their oils. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Probably doesn't sell well, which is why it's clearanced. Just my guess

Just hold the bottle up to a light, OR shine a flashlight behind it to see the level.

OR, just look into the bottle & eyeball it.
grin.gif

AZ has yearly clearances that are location specific. Some have certain oils on clearance that others don't. That being said, i have not been to one AZ that doesn't show GTX SynBlend on clearance. As mentioned here and in a different thread the Magnatec possibility was discussed and seems plausible to me.

Castrol has done this for years. Very annoying. Even cheap store brands have an easy view strip to see how much oil is left in the bottle. I don't know if Magnetec is gonna replace the Synblend or not, they are both on the website now. Is Magnetec Dexos?

Of course if the Synblend becomes unobtanium that'll take care of itself.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Was inspecting the bottles I got from Autozone.

Noticed that I couldn't see inside the bottles where the measure marks (1/4 1/2 3/4) were embossed. There is no clear strip to look into.

Is this a bottle design error and a reason for putting it on clearance?

What do your bottles look like?

Castrol Syntec Blend bottles have been like that since I started using it back in the 80's.

As for the clearance,Autozone told me they're just marking down the "older" stock to replace with fresh stock. I asked because one store was selling Edge 5W50 and Synpower 5W40 for $4 a quart,while the store across town was selling it for $9.

I believe that Castrol is simply eliminating the stock of SynBlend due to a new oil (Castrol Magnatec) taking its place. I could not find SynBlend on the US Castrol site this morning when looking for the PDS.

Thoughts?

Something I'd been wondering,are GTX Synblend and GTX High Mileage the same exact oils with the exception of the High Mileage having seal conditioners added?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It is a very low volume seller.

This.

We've got a whole rack full of it in various grades. It doesn't move.

I think it's a psychological thing. The dull gray bottles don't look very appealing unlike the bright yellow Pennzoil or bright green QS bottles. Same with Mobil Super Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I believe that Castrol is simply eliminating the stock of SynBlend due to a new oil (Castrol Magnatec) taking its place. I could not find SynBlend on the US Castrol site this morning when looking for the PDS.

Thoughts?

It's still listing Synblend under the GTX tab. Click where it says "Click here for GTX product information":

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/products/car/engine-oils/gtx-product-page.html

Thanks--I see it now.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Something I'd been wondering,are GTX Synblend and GTX High Mileage the same exact oils with the exception of the High Mileage having seal conditioners added?

I have used both extensively and I don't think so. The synblend meets Dexos which takes quite a bit of syn base oil (for example Pennzoil uses a full 50%) and looking at what limited specs Castrol provides I don't think there is that much syn in the HM oil.

All oils have seal conditioners by the way, HM oils just typically have a little bit more.

Originally Posted By: maximus

This.

I think it's a psychological thing. The dull gray bottles don't look very appealing unlike the bright yellow Pennzoil or bright green QS bottles. Same with Mobil Super Synthetic.

I agree with this comment, there's a lot of people that don't know anything about oil and just get the bottle that looks cool.

Originally Posted By: maximus

This.

I would buy more if the 0w20 was $1. The specs on that look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back