Rearview mirror won't stay up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting pretty frustrated after re-mounting my mirrow four times in the past year or so. (The mirror comes off right after you adjust it. Happened again today.) Problem seems to be that I'm getting poor glue coverage on the little button that adheres to the windshield. When I looked at it today, glue had only covered about 60% of the button outline. 40% was bare as could be.

When I mounted it last time, I pushed HARD on the thing for a good 2 minutes. Then I let it sit overnight for two nights to cure. Even used the high-end Permatex glue. Did the initial mount at 75 degrees outside, which is right at the top end of the temperature range listed on the package.

I'm wondering if I'm pushing TOO hard on it when I'm mounting it and the glue is spreading out too much. Or, it seems like the window may have a slight curve in it there so as not to allow even coverage. Those are the only things I can think of. This last time, it wasn't up for more than a 4 weeks.

I'd be willing to go the dealership to have it done, but I'm not convicned anyone can make this sucker stay put!

Anyone else had this problem?

I've had problems gluing the mirror mount buttons on. They used to fall off after a month to a year.

I think the biggest factor is surface preparation. All old glue needs to be removed from the windshield and the metal mount. I finally scraped both surfaces with a razor blade after they looked completely clean. Then I vigorously wiped both surfaces with acetone and a clean cloth.

I gently pressed the button in place for a couple of minutes, then left it overnight with some blue masknig tape securing it (probably a waste of tape).

When I did all things...clean surfaces until the looked clean, a post clean razor scrape, acetone wipe and overnight tape, the buttons stayed on.

I'm sure that's overkill, but it worked for me and I was tired of re-gluing the things.

I think the absolutely clean surface, including no old glue is what does the trick.

Get some sand paper and gently scuff the smooth side of the the mount (button).

I had the some problem with my wife's 1994 Altima until I realized that the glue will NOT hold as long as it is sandwiched between the smooth glass and the smooth mirror mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some auto-glass places will reinstall the button for free or for a minimal charge. Might be worth a couple calls and a visit to end your frustration.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Some auto-glass places will reinstall the button for free or for a minimal charge. Might be worth a couple calls and a visit to end your frustration.

Exactly... They've got the materials and the skill to get it right the first time.

I'd bet that you'll find a place that'll do it for five or ten bucks, if you take it to their shop.

Originally Posted By: XS650
I've had problems gluing the mirror mount buttons on. They used to fall off after a month to a year.

I think the biggest factor is surface preparation. All old glue needs to be removed from the windshield and the metal mount. I finally scraped both surfaces with a razor blade after they looked completely clean. Then I vigorously wiped both surfaces with acetone and a clean cloth.

I gently pressed the button in place for a couple of minutes, then left it overnight with some blue masknig tape securing it (probably a waste of tape).

When I did all things...clean surfaces until the looked clean, a post clean razor scrape, acetone wipe and overnight tape, the buttons stayed on.

I'm sure that's overkill, but it worked for me and I was tired of re-gluing the things.

I think the absolutely clean surface, including no old glue is what does the trick.

This is pretty much the same procedure I used on my mother's Buick. Mirror has been on for 2 yrs. now in hot South Carolina summers. It's all in the prep.

I just use the sidemirrors with the added convex stick ons for extra protection, big trucks dont have review mirrors and they do just fine, well its a thought.

I had the same problem with my Scout. The kit at the auto parts store was junk. I ended up cleaning the glass real well then scuffing it with 40 grit sandpaper. Cleaned the button and scuffed it too.

I then used JBweld to glue the button onto the glass
lol.gif

I manage a refit every year or two. My biggest complaint is having to drag an Allen wrench out to the jeep since the wife must readjust it too often. It always loosens up and I keep forgetting to bring locktite. At that point it goes on the back burner for next time.

Excellent suggestions. Thanks a lot. I may just ask the pros to do it.

I almost did the scuffing of the button last time but chose not to. Also thought of a super glue and obviously picked against it.

Again, thanks a lot.

Super glue is not reliable for mirrors.
Trust me, failure is going to come.
Use the right stuff.
Proper substrate cleaning is essential.

The best results that I have had in the past is to take the vehicle into a professional. I've tried it myself with the autoparts store products and they didn't work. There are a couple of Auto Glass Repair Shops in my area and they have the proper glass cleaner and glues to do the job right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back