rear tires wearing more from trailer towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new set of tires for my truck and noticed the rear tires are about 60 percent now after just 7500 miles. I do all city driving locally within a 10 mile radius just in neighborhoods cause I use it to haul my mowers. Well I have a side gate on my trailer that holds a 1000 pound mower up front. Truck didn't do this before, so i'm surprised the extra 1500 pounds causes this much extra wear. I wonder if it's the constant stopping and going that wears the tires more than the weight. I don't do burn outs or drive aggressively.

This truck came from the factory with Michelins and I got like 55,000 miles out of that first set. I think they did something special with that set because after that the most I've gotten was like 40,000 miles out of a set and apparently any other brand is even worse. Also that original set of Michelins although lasted a long time, had horrible grip when it was wet, so it makes me wonder if dodge had them make the rubber extra hard or something.

Even before towing trailers around I've never gotten close to that original 55,000 miles out of a set of tires.

If you have that much weight in the back and you still have 36psi in them move to a load range E tire like Michelin defender and get at least 45-50 psi (80# max). I get 80,000 out of a set of those

Honestly, no Cummins Ram should have anything but a 10 ply on it, front & rear. I've actually had pretty good luck with the Bridgestone Duelers & Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts I've been using on the Ram and the F-450, and my company has even done pretty well with the OEM Hankooks that came on the Econolines (LT245/75R16Es).

So tires with more weight on them will always wear more and require higher pressure.

If it is the truck in your sig, then i imagine you have E-rated tires already requiring 70-80psi while towing.
So if you're not doing that, consider doing that.
Based on the big ol' engine in the front and the tow load in the back I would think you would want all the tires to run about the same pressure. But at that high within a few psi is as good as you can likely accomplish.

The truck has load range E tires and I surely put more than 36psi in them. More like 65psi

Originally Posted by Davejam
So tires with more weight on them will always wear more and require higher pressure.

Same.

I wear out the rear tires on my F150 at about 2:1

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
The truck has load range E tires and I surely put more than 36psi in them. More like 65psi
If your Ram is 4WD, you'll likely wear out the fronts faster than the rear. I usually keep 80 PSI in the fronts at all times and 65 rear empty, 80 rear when towing. My PSI upper limit is when my back starts hurting from the bouncing...

Yep. The extra torque required to accelerate the truck and trailer in stop-and-go traffic causes tread deformation, and the wear occurs as the rubber enters and exits the loaded contact patch.
I see this a lot on my Dodge, and have to rotate tires every 3 months to balance out the wear front to rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back