Rear Tire Rack and Bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did I not discover the joys of a rear bike rack and bags before? Not having an insulating backpack made the commute so much nicer, and not as sweaty as it was wearing the backpack.

Rack is a Nashbar LDT, bags are Nashbar Townie bags. Like 'em so far!

I have a Topeak beam rack that attaches to the saddle tube. It has a quick-release clamp. I also have the matching bag that slides into place. I don't care much for the sweaty back from a knapsack either.

Yes the sweaty backpack thing is not fun. I have used it on my road bike, and my old mtn bike. I need to get the stuff off my back.
My road bike does not have lugs for mounting a rack of any kind. So I will have less choices. The saddle tube will probably be the only choice I will have.

You may find a suitable bag that can be attached to the handle bar. Topeak has those also. Rear racks make bikes heavy in the rear. Of course, whether or not that's a problem depends on where and how you are riding.

The rack I bought came with clamps for mounting the upper stays. Probably could get away with the same thing for the lower stays.

I don't notice the lopsided weight distribution much when I'm riding. My bike was rear-heavy to begin with, so it is more of the same.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I don't notice the lopsided weight distribution much when I'm riding.

Try jumping (up) curbs with a rack and cargo.

Heh, this is on a road bike, no bunny-hopping in my future. I'll look for driveways and other street-level access points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back