Rear right brakes dragging

Yeah I wouldn’t my dad done that once and messed up the rotors on it so had to replace both calipers and both rotors he wasn’t too happy lol. It’s always good to avoid it if you do have sticking brakes.
I wonder how the caliper could’ve gone bad so quick? I had a 98 Toyota Camry with 197k miles on the original calipers.

I wonder how the caliper could’ve gone bad so quick? I had a 98 Toyota Camry with 197k miles on the original calipers.
I’ve seen them go bad soon before I guess it just depends but you are also in the north so a lot of salt and everything up there in the winter so that could be a contributing factor to it.

I've got a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L with 56k miles. All 4 pads wear changed maybe a year ago with Ceramic pads from Autozone. Today I noticed when I would apply the brakes the car would brake fine, But when I released the brake all sides would release except for the rear right side. It felt like the brake was still on and was slow to release. Do I have a sticking piston or could one of the caliper guides be stuck?
It sounds as if you have a hung up caliper pin. I would remove both pins, clean the pins using a wire wheel, use brake cleaner to flush out the caliper pin guides in the caliper bracket, then lightly lubed the pins with either Permatex Ultra Green or Silicone Ceramic Extreme. If the pins are severely pitted, purchase new ones as they are inexpensive. As for the parking brake causing the calipers to go bad, it would only affect the p-brake use, but would not affect the normal operation of the caliper itself.

brake pin lube links-

It sounds as if you have a hung up caliper pin. I would remove both pins, clean the pins using a wire wheel, use brake cleaner to flush out the caliper pin guides in the caliper bracket, then lightly lubed the pins with either Permatex Ultra Green or Silicone Ceramic Extreme. If the pins are severely pitted, purchase new ones as they are inexpensive. As for the parking brake causing the calipers to go bad, it would only affect the p-brake use, but would not affect the normal operation of the caliper itself.

brake pin lube links-

I don’t have a wire wheel. Wait maybe I do

I'd check the caliper pins, then the grooves the pads move in and then possibly consider the inside of the flex part of the brake line delaminating and allowing the fluid to pass under high pressure and very slowly flowing back. A long time ago I didn't properly support the caliper and it fell and stressed the rubber part of the brake line and a piece of the rubber inside pulled loose and caused the blockage.

I'd check the caliper pins, then the grooves the pads move in and then possibly consider the inside of the flex part of the brake line delaminating and allowing the fluid to pass under high pressure and very slowly flowing back. A long time ago I didn't properly support the caliper and it fell and stressed the rubber part of the brake line and a piece of the rubber inside pulled loose and caused the blockage.
I took a look at the rotors and didn’t see any lines or abnormal wear.

Definitely clean the pins as mentioned but also pull any stainless brake pad guides/clips off the caliper and clean off any rust that may have formed underneath them. What can happen is rust can start to form and expand causing the clips to pinch the ears of the pads so they don't slide freely. If you see this, don't just take a wire brush to it and expect it clean it up. Take a hard file or even a cold chisel and really knock all the rust off. Brake grease underneath the clips will help slow more rust from forming but make sure not to get any on the pads or rotor.

Also, pull any stainless brake pad guide/clips off the caliper and clean off any rust that may have formed underneath them. What can happen is rust can start to form and expand causing the clips to pinch the ears of the pads so they don't slide freely. If you see this, don't just take a wire brush to it and expect it clean it up. Take a hard file or even a cold chisel and really knock all the rust off. Grease underneath the clips will help slow more rust from forming but make sure not to get any on the pads or rotor.
I think I’ll first clean off the caliper pins with the wire brush and use brake cleaner to clean the caliper and the caliper guide holes. Then apply some grease to the pins and slide them in. Then take it for a spin and see how it drives. If the pads still drag, I’ll buy some new guide pins. If it still drags, than my assumption is the calipers are bad.

I might be able to get one from my job 💀. If not I’ll stop by harbor fright or just order off Amazon
Always good when you’re able to “borrow” one from work. As mentioned by dbias above, & one I failed to mention, you may also have hardware jacking. Rust will build up under the metal hardware for the pad ears which causes them to ”lock” into place. When you have the caliper off, pull off the pads, remove the hardware carefully, use the wire brush to clean those surfaces, use a bit of caliper lube to protect the metal surface of the caliper bracket, then reinstall the hardware.

If you are a bit unsure of how to do this, here is a great video explaining how this is done-

Back