Rear Differential Oil question?

DR1

So what is the difference between from "polyol ester base stocks" and " a fully synthetic, ester-based gearbox oil" ?

Define what you mean by synthetic.
Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds. Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil.

Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds. Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil.
You answered the question . Polyol is a type of syn base oil as is PAO, Diester . Most oils are a blend to optimize a finished products performance and or cost of manufacture.

[What is the actual blend of base oils]

1641228316066.jpg

todays "synthetics" were NOT years ago as most are highly processed CRUDE or gas based + any group III or above is legally advertised as "synthetic" lots of info about oils can be had from a general search!!

Does anyone think that Motul 75w140 Rear diff oil is better than Valvoline syn-power 75w140?

Not exactly sure what you mean?
Just that very few of us here have the capacity to run any meaningful tests to base an opinion on. Base stocks are only part of the equation. Additive packs are significant, too. In all likelihood, it's Coke vs Pepsi.

My feeling is that if you change the fluid on a reasonable schedule, it won't matter which one you choose.

My feeling is that if you change the fluid on a reasonable schedule, it won't matter which one you choose.

Bingo. Differential fluid, motor oil, etc... I really doubt any of that makes a difference what brand you use, provided you're using something that meets manufacturer specifications and is serviced appropriately. If the brand is making a difference, that means you're either running the equipment improperly, or it's designed improperly.

Back