Rear diff was low about 3/4 quart low, what to do

In my 2003 hummer h2, I recently checked the rear diff fluid and it took about 3/4 quart to get it full again. The total fluid capacity is about 2-2.5 quarts and it was basically missing .75 quart out of it.

I got mr lube to change the fluid in September and I guess they didn’t fill it fully or something? And I took it to the gm dealership for an oil change in November ish and I don’t know if they checked the diff fluid level during the oil change, so I didn’t ask or say anything.

I assume it was really bad that I was this low, would you guys recommend I run amsoil severe gear or redline to make up for the damage that I did? Or just forget about it

Thanks

Gently pat the top of it and say "I'm sorry, I just didn't know." It will be just as effective as any lube or additive. Rebuilding it is the only way to actually improve it. But it isn't broken at this point and therefore it would also be a waste.

You did fill it back up ?

Say a prayer , then drive it .

I am guessing it is not clunking or whining ? If not , do not worry until / unless it does .

yes! i filled it back up right away with some conventional gear oil, it had syn in it before.
it has both a fill and drain plug so pretty easy to drain and fill

maybe run redline or amsoil severe gear? or forget about it

Check that the vent tube(bobble head) isn't plugged/stuck. This could cause seal damage if the pressure inside the differential too high due to overfilling. Look for seal damage & leaking.

I wouldn't believe any damage would have occured but I would keep an eye open for any leaks once it is topped off. If you don't see any "oil spraying" underneathe or soaked brakes, it likely wasn't filled properly.

anyone able to comment on this?
they say to use conventional over synthetics

The article is fundamentally and fatally flawed on every part and parcel of the body of information and should be ignored.

It is a collection of unqualified opinions, hyperbole, circular logic, unsubstantiated studies/claims, examples that are meaningless because they are overly simplistic compared to actual conditions and dipped in a heaping helping of appeal to emotion all wrapped up in a logical conundrum ( last statements about comparisons) where he states as much.

( obviously by a writer who has zero knowledge of gearing, metallurgy, tribology or lubricants- he just "sells stuff")

Hope that helps

The article is fundamentally and fatally flawed on every part and parcel of the body of information and should be ignored.

It is a collection of unqualified opinions, hyperbole, circular logic, unsubstantiated studies/claims, examples that are meaningless because they are overly simplistic compared to actual conditions and dipped in a heaping helping of appeal to emotion all wrapped up in a logical conundrum ( last statements about comparisons) where he states as much.

( obviously by a writer who has zero knowledge of gearing, metallurgy, tribology or lubricants- he just "sells stuff")

Hope that helps

I agree. I had east coast gear rebuild there rear in my avalanche. I suspect they get some of there article info from Lucas Oil. They push Lucas products. They do excellent work, but i don't use Lucas in mine.

Is this an 8.6" rearend? On my half-ton Chevy, specs call for the oil to be a certain distance below the fill hole. If you filled yours until oil dribbled out, that could mean it wasn't as low as you thought.

Is this an 8.6" rearend? On my half-ton Chevy, specs call for the oil to be a certain distance below the fill hole. If you filled yours until oil dribbled out, that could mean it wasn't as low as you thought.
It’s a 9.5 inch. I believe for mine we wait till it dribble out of full hole. I could be wrong tho

Hope that helps
I agree and never could understand their logic. I know the dragster boys like conventional for it's "cushioning" effect.

There's no way to "make up for damage." I wish there were, but no.
I would not worry about being 30-35% low on oil, it is splashed around a lot so chances are everything got lubricated regularly. But I would definitely make a habit of checking up on services performed by a shop, especially things as easy as fluid levels in critical components like engines, transmissions and axles. Quick and easy peace of mind.

If you don't see seepage from the pinion seal or at the wheel ends (might want to check those), then I bet you are correct about the lube shop under filling it. It's doubtful that any appreciable extra wear happened and I would rest easy.

If it is not damaged it’s fully understandable. Just watch one of the Banks videos showing the clear cover plate to see how the lubricant is clearly being thrown around inside the diff, including the fact that the axles bearings are being lubed by splashing, not by having a level high enough to run down the axle housing. Still, it’s best to keep it at the proper level for best cooling. Sleep well.

Back