Rear defroster tab repair ?

Bought a permatex kit but did not work sanded flat used activator wouldn't work any advice on how to repair this

Just throwing this out there. I once saw a guy repair either this part or one of the grid lines with silver solder. I believe the tabs are copper. YMMV.

Reactions: JC1
I prepped the tabs and mounting the so called glue wouldn't tack up I will post pics later

I see you're in michigan as I am.. stating the obvious, it's been cold here.. did you try and use a hair dryer to warm up the area before gluing?

or is the glue a UV resin glue that needs UV light to harden?

Link to actual Permatex kit would be helpful as well.

great minds think alike! lol..😁 was just looking up the technical data sheet from permatex on their rear defogger repair kit..

and look at that, both kits say to "For best results, the ambient temperature should be at least 50F during application."

time to get a hair dryer!!

here's the tech sheet..

for the complete kit..

for the tab repair kit

The local glass place said its marginal getting those kits to work properly.

FIle a glass claim. Your insurance company will pay in full. They want you to see out the rear window,

Some of that thick stuff you knead to activate, pressed down on a conductive patch till it dries? Then maybe some epoxy over that .

Attachments

• 20210105_120759_HDR.jpg
    20210105_120759_HDR.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210105_120845.jpg
    20210105_120845.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 48
I did it yesterday in a heated garage I wasn't outside I will look at video and thanks.
I wouldn check various videos on YouTube first. I usually check a few videos before doing the repair and watch the video 2-3 times, and then try to watch it about 30 mins before doing the repair myself. Some videos suck and are a waste of time, but I do it as part of my research.

Back