RealTek Network Drivers Update Procedure Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I posted a while back about getting a Blue Screen of Death once and awhile, and I did a 'fsc /scannow' in the DOS Command window that seemed to fix some driver file issues, and after that I didn't experience the BSOD for many months. Link to that thread: LINK

Well, today I got another BSOD, and the message was saying it was associated with the file 'tcpip.sys' which seems to be associated with the networking system. Did another 'fsc /scannow' and it didn't find any file problems this time. So sounds like I need to update my networking system drivers.

I have the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Network Controller. I think it was OVERKILL in my other thread that gave the link to RealTek's website and the drivers update. I downloaded the update I need for my RealTek network controller, but I have a question on how to install the update.

The download from RealTek's website was a ZIP file. Their installation instructions just say to execute the setup.exe file and follow the prompts.

Question is, do I just unzip the ZIP file into a new folder than execute the setup.exe file from there? Since they didn't give any details on how to handle the ZIP file that's the only process that makes sense. Any comments on how to proceed?

Thanks OVERKILL ... will proceed that way. Should I do 'Restore Point' in Windows before attempting the update in case it bombs?

Did the update and the RealTek installation wizard said it completed successfully. This will probably fix the Blue Screen crashing for good. I thought the last "fix" I did with 'sfc /scannow' fixed it, but it took over a month for it to pop-up again. Thanks for the help OVERKILL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back