Real synthetic oil?

The definition of synthetic engine oil has changed from "what is the actual content of the oil" to "how well does the oil perform." In other words, if an oil performs as well as a true synthetic oil made in a laboratory, it can be called full synthetic. I have mixed feelings about this... I think the rest of the world is (again) laughing at Americans because the rest of the world still goes by the definition of synthetic oil based on actual content of the oil, which is (in my opinion) technically more accurate. Although I do enjoy getting the performance of real synthetic oil but paying much less for fake synthetic.
Actually all the rest of the world save Germany goes by exactly the same thing that the US does. In fact the US was one of the last to change their marketing practices.

Last edited:
The definition of synthetic engine oil has changed from "what is the actual content of the oil" to "how well does the oil perform." In other words, if an oil performs as well as a true synthetic oil made in a laboratory, it can be called full synthetic. I have mixed feelings about this... I think the rest of the world is (again) laughing at Americans because the rest of the world still goes by the definition of synthetic oil based on actual content of the oil, which is (in my opinion) technically more accurate. Although I do enjoy getting the performance of real synthetic oil but paying much less for fake synthetic.
Actually an oil is classified as a "synthetic" by the process it undergoes to become a base oil.

sniffs at this boring thread as I drive to 10k ocis on Kirkland synthetic with no downsides. Decides not to Pee on it Since this was covered a couple of decades ago here. Moving along.

The definition of synthetic engine oil has changed from "what is the actual content of the oil" to "how well does the oil perform." In other words, if an oil performs as well as a true synthetic oil made in a laboratory, it can be called full synthetic. I have mixed feelings about this...
Don't be fooled by those oil adds on T.V; Synthetic oi is NOT made in a laboratory by young women in clean
white Lab coats wearing Oversize Safety goggles.

Developed? Yes. Made in quantity? No!

It is an advertising Term agreed upon by the The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus and The big Oil Co's after a bit of contention.

SAE said they are not going to touch this hot potato so that definition is history.

"The Definition of Synthetic Shall be Stricken from all the records and obelisks!"
"So it is written, so it shall be DONE!"

Now you know the power of Oil!

It is an advertising Term agreed upon by the The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus and The big Oil Co's after a bit of contention.

SAE said they are not going to touch this hot potato so that definition is history.

"The Definition of Synthetic Shall be Stricken from all the records and obelisks!"
"So it is written, so it shall be DONE!"

Now you know the power of Oil!
It was already being done in nearly all the rest of the world, both Mobil and Castrol were selling Group III based synthetics elsewhere.

Mobil knew knew that if it went to court they would lose due to this fact. It was truly a tempest in the US teapot by then.

Learning a lot here, thanks everyone for the good information and for the kind corrections to my statements. Until now I thought that PAO and Esters were the only true synthetic base oils, and I thought the Group 3 / hydrocracked stuff was called "full synthetic" only because its performance (as a finished lubricant) is "close enough" to those true synthetics... guess I should re-read the home page article lol.

Good ole Youtube... the pinnacle of factual information. If a random person on Youtube says the spawn of a donkey and giraffe is a batfish, it must be true.

/sarcasm

What he's referring to is the transition to group III synthetics away from group IV which is actually a better move. In the area that 98% of daily commuter engines operate, group III will provide better additive response and solubility without having to blend in group V esters or naphthalenes. They are also easier on elastomer seals. This on top of group III being ~6x cheaper than group IV.

People who are upset about this either are stuck in the past or are just blindly cheering on something they don't fully understand. Some of the highest demanding engines for oil (NASCAR) use a 0w-16/20 oil that's majority group III, and they run at 280*F sump temps and >350*F bearing temps. They actually show less wear with group III than IV. Let that sink in for a minute.
Just curious as to where you got that info from?

The finest 100% synthetic oil.

Attachments

• 20210616_203336.jpg
    20210616_203336.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
A Ford mechanic on Youtube talked about short OCI,s because of problems with sludge and he stated that some synthetics weren't really synthetic. He was into 5000-mile oil changes. I would be curious what synthetic oil is really synthetic oil and what isn't? Is it a real thing?
Is that mechanic Ford Boss Me?

Just curious as to where you got that info from?

Here's one link, and there's a few white papers on it as well.

Historically, polyalphaolefins (PAOs) have had superior performance characteristics such as viscosity index (VI), pour point, volatility and oxidation stability that could not be achieved with conventional mineral oils. With modern base oil manufacturing, VI, pour point, volatility and oxidation stability all can be independently controlled.

A modern Group III oil can actually outperform a PAO in several areas important to lubricants, such as additive solubility, lubricity and antiwear performance. Group III base oils can now rival PAO stocks in pour point, viscosity index and oxidation stability performance.

Learning a lot here, thanks everyone for the good information and for the kind corrections to my statements. Until now I thought that PAO and Esters were the only true synthetic base oils, and I thought the Group 3 / hydrocracked stuff was called "full synthetic" only because its performance (as a finished lubricant) is "close enough" to those true synthetics... guess I should re-read the home page article lol.
NO, you are correct the industry has bamboozled the consumer. But that was long ago.

I am not saying traditional synthetic formulations are better, with it's concomitant extra cost, but it surely can be for some.

Now I recall my 1988 VW Fox had a statement in the OM to NOT use synthetic oil in the 1.8L

"A modern Group III oil can actually outperform a PAO in several areas important to lubricants, such as additive solubility, lubricity and
antiwear performance. Group III base oils can now rival PAO stocks in pour point, viscosity index and oxidation stability performance."

I doubt Group III can do all of this simultaneously. Both "additive solubility, lubricity and antiwear performance" are three terms for one single thing and you could also substitute it with aniline point. It's important to remember, the more you refine/hydro-crack mineral oil, the more you elevate aniline point towards that of PAO. You gain something, you lose something. The often claimed "better solubility" is barely more than a popular myth. As a matter of fact Group IV/PAO with a slug of ester will easily match or surpass additive response/solubility of Group III. That's how proper PAO based oils are blended.
Btw, it's hard to find any Group III (incl. GTL) PCMOs with a poorpoint of -76°F or even -87°F. Do they even exist? There are several PAO based PCMOs with these numbers.

Last edited:
I doubt Group III can do all of this simultaneously. Both "additive solubility, lubricity and antiwear performance" are three terms for one single thing and you could also substitute it with aniline point. It's important to remember, the more you refine/hydro-crack mineral oil, the more you elevate aniline point towards that of PAO. You gain something, you lose something. The often claimed "better solubility" is barely more than a popular myth. As a matter of fact Group IV/PAO with a slug of ester will easily match or surpass additive response/solubility of Group III. That's how proper PAO based oils are blended.
Btw, it's hard to find any Group III (incl. GTL) PCMOs with a poorpoint of -76°F or even -87°F. Do they even exist? There are several PAO based PCMOs with these numbers.
But the point is you can make a competitive Group III synthetic for a lot less cost than Group IV/V. Blenders were looking for a cheaper way to make synthetic and, at the time, there was a real fear of shortages for materials to make Group IV/V.

Back