Real synhetic oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Schaeffer's 5w30 Supreme is 75-80% group 3 and 20-25% PAO, and it shows better specs than Mobil 1 5w30.

Schaeffer's blend is Group II and PAO. And it still can't match Mobil 1's pour point or cold cranking/pumping vis numbers.

quote:

Schaeffer's blend is Group II and PAO. And it still can't match Mobil 1's pour point or cold cranking/pumping vis numbers.

True, and I think we over look the importance of the cold cranking number. If most engine wear occurs at start up, M1 is a good choice.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Schaeffer's 5w30 Supreme is 75-80% group 3 and 20-25% PAO, and it shows better specs than Mobil 1 5w30.

Nope, the 10w30 blend is group 2+ and PAO, but the 5w30 blend is group 3 and PAO. This info comes directly from the head chemist at Schaeffer Oil.

Folks,

So far, this is the most succinct definition of a synthetic that I've found. I hope this helps.

"As I have said before, it is a fine distinction. Since PAO's are synthesized from other hyrdocarbons(ethylene gas) they are still a hydrocarbon, but a synthesized hydrocarbon(SHC) nonetheless. If you want to call them synthetic then that is ok with me. That's what the public wanted to do and Mobil let it stick. They gave up on calling PAO's SHC's at the engine oil level, but still call the industrial PAO's SHC's. To me, synthetic oil implies a non hydrocarbon product that performs like HC oils or better, i.e., higher VI, lower pour point, greater oxidation stability, etc. And as I have said, a PAO is more a synthetic than a Group III stock.

If you want to call Group IV stocks synthetic, that's fine. The dictionary actually defines synthetic as produced by synthesis and synthesis as putting together of parts or elements so as to form a whole. I guess we are splitting hairs here, but the dictionary also says that a synthetic is produced by chemical synthesis, rather than of natural origin, artifical. PAO's could be characterized as "natural origin" since they come from a hydrocarbon(ethylene) and things like diesters don't come from hydrocarbons, but from acids and alcohols.

Like Mobil, I yield, PAO's are synthetics. But to call Group III stocks synthetic because hydrogen has been rammed onto another HC molecule, causing them to become saturated, with VI's approaching PAO's and other synthetics, is a farce. It would be a stretch to even call them synthesized, even though that would be closer than synthetic, since the end product has come from taking things away(refining) rather than building up(synthesizing). It is still a hydrocarbon and hydrocarbons are not synthetic, but natural."

The beat goes on.

I borrowed this from the Noria Board.

quote:

Are there Group III PCMOs out there that post better specs that some other PAO PCMOs? Yes. Is there a Group III PCMO out there that posts better specs than ANY PAO PCMO? Nope.

I'm confused...is this a circular argument? You're sadly mistaken, my friend, but you can believe what you wish.

quote:

Originally posted by 68redlines73:

quote:

Are there Group III PCMOs out there that post better specs that some other PAO PCMOs? Yes. Is there a Group III PCMO out there that posts better specs than ANY PAO PCMO? Nope.

I'm confused...is this a circular argument? You're sadly mistaken, my friend, but you can believe what you wish.

Okay, prove me wrong. Post the name of a Group III motor oil that has BETTER specs than any PAO-based motor oil. (Equivalent grades, of course.)

This is all academic, really, because there are Group III oils that will PERFORM just as well as PAO-based oils when the performance is determined by UOA numbers.

quote:

Nope, the 10w30 blend is group 2+ and PAO, but the 5w30 blend is group 3 and PAO. This info comes directly from the head chemist at Schaeffer Oil.

The head chemist needs to let Schaeffer's marketing department know, then. Their online spec sheet for the 5w30 blend clearly states that it's a blend of PAO and Group II+.

quote:

quote:

The head chemist needs to let Schaeffer's marketing department know, then. Their online spec sheet for the 5w30 blend clearly states that it's a blend of PAO and Group II+.

Schaeffer Oil is a good company, but not known for their speedy updating of their website.

OK I will. I will say that BMW's Synthetic 5-30 IS BETTER than M-1's 5-30 hands down. You know why? Because "the numbers" don't always show everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back