Real mechanics don't use Walmart oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever notice real mechanics don't use "commercial" oil filters?

Go to a serious mechanic's shop, I'm not talking a quickie oil changer, Firestone store, or Sears, and look at the oil filters they are using.

90% of the time you'll see brands like Hastings, Wix, NAPA, and Baldwin.

You won't see Purolator, FRAM, STP, or Mobil 1.

Are there two oil filter markets?

Is one geared toward consumers and their dollars with fancy filters with metalflake paint jobs, 99% efficiency claims, and big price tags?

Is the other segment aimed at serious, no-nonsense mechanics where predictable performance and rock solid reliability are paramount?

Are BITOG'ers in the right camp?

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The mechanics will use whatever they can get cheapest.

Correct , and they buy from jobbers, not AAP or Walmart

i usually use napa proselect filters because they are decient and inexpensive. i can get noname whitebox chinese filters for about $.50 less. i dont put those on my car so why would i put them on a customers car?

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I'm in the right camp but ZeeOSix and 901Memphis are in the wrong camp.
grin2.gif

In the winter I pay the $16 dollar oil change price at my local mech; they charge that and I bring in my own lube and filter and stand and shoot the stuff with him while he does it and it is done well in the heat with a lift.

Last edited:
I'm talking about mechanics that do real engine work.

It may be a speed shop that will slide a bigger cam in your LS2 or maybe a fleet garage servicing 250 vehicles.

Look at their oil filter shelf and see what brands are stacked there.

Yeah if your paying for it if you want a basic oil change like your saying sears firestone etc your getting the bottom of the barrel champ or ecore.On race cars we use hastings or wix but your not getting that at sears or firestone at all.Just a cheap penzoil or whatever bulk garbage they buy.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I'm in the right camp but ZeeOSix and 901Memphis are in the wrong camp.
grin2.gif

I get my Ultras free or cheap!

Purolator, FRAM, STP, or Mobil 1 won't deliver to their shop door step. However, aftermarket auto part stores will deliver, and some of the aftermarket lines are just repainted Purolators, or FRAMS.

They sell AC Delco, Motorcraft and Mopar at my local WalMart but I guess the guys at the dealerships aren't real "mechanics". I know I was called alot of names when I worked at a dealership lol

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
No offense to mechanics but the are the last people I would ask for recommendation for oil or oil filters.

This

other then this 1 guy who is actually really good at figuring out car problems and I have never seen him give up, ever (just turned 64 the other day) all the other mechanics I have seen are plain and simply not the brightest of the bunch, they will literally say wrong things most of the time but still not as bad as auto parts salesmen.

In my day the cheap ones were called "white box" filters. They were anonymous and we did not touch them. Many shops did. They were really cheap.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
No offense to mechanics but the are the last people I would ask for recommendation for oil or oil filters.

How about for advice on proper spelling and grammar?

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Purolator, FRAM, STP, or Mobil 1 won't deliver to their shop door step. However, aftermarket auto part stores will deliver, and some of the aftermarket lines are just repainted Purolators, or FRAMS.

Yeah this. And I bet common sizes like PF47 and FL820s they have cases of (white box) filters around so they don't have to wait for the truck. Have heard of a "two case minimum" if ordering oil by the quart. My old "real mechanic" didn't have a bulk system.

If you have something esoteric/ foreign, you're more likely to get a Wix, in Napa or Carquest dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back