Real life differences in tire size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its getting to the point where I am going to need tires for my Corolla, stock size is 175/65/14 or 185/65/14. I'm wondering what are the real life advantages or disadvantages between the tire sizes. Basically just seeing if there is a benefit over the other.

In all reality you wont notice any difference,

The tire brand and model will be more important than the size difference.

personally I'd get 185/65r14, tiny bit better handling and many more tires in that size.

You can change the height of the tire or the width of the tire. You need to decide if you want that or not. Changing the height of the tire can throw your speedometer of by a few MPH, and miles registered on the vehicle.,,

I had a Saturn with that size. Upgrading the width stopped the squealing when I'd make turns with any speed. I swear that car could squeal its tires making a u-turn.

if your a hypermiler, the 175's would be best.

Lets be honest, your 99 Corolla was never made for handling. It's an economy car designed for fuel economy, so get a decent set of 175's and enjoy them until the car finally dies.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=765TR4AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

So they're basically the same but the 185's handle better and the 175's are a bit better on gas? Yes I pile on miles and some roads are like Iraq. Others are that really pebbly asphalt used in fancy communities, so even with rotating every 5000 miles I go through tires.

Get the 185s. More options, better MPG, though it will indicate worse. More sidewall for potholes and your pizza delivery road warrior life. As said above, more sizes and possibly cheaper. Should last a little longer too.

A diiference in nominal section width of 10 mm, or about 3/8" isn't going to change the car's behavior in any way.
If you can get a great deal in one size or the other but not both, as sometimes happens, let that be your deciding factor.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
if your a hypermiler, the 175's would be best.

Lets be honest, your 99 Corolla was never made for handling. It's an economy car designed for fuel economy, so get a decent set of 175's and enjoy them until the car finally dies.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=765TR4AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I would agree except the tire selection(model and brand) will have Much more impact than the size difference.

There is also a better selection(variety) of tires in 185/65r14

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=865HR4AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I'd second the general rt43, but I'd go with H rated ones.

In reality either is fine. I'd pick whichever size had the tire you wanted available, and if available in both.. I'd probably lean towards the cheaper one..
and if both were the same price.. the 185's... slightly

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
In all reality you wont notice any difference,

The tire brand and model will be more important than the size difference.......

^^ THIS!! ^^

I had a '98 Corolla, I believe the 185 size came on the LE model.

I tried some different sizes after the OE tires wore out.
I tried some 70 series tires looking for a little more road clearance and mileage.
The car HATED the 70 series tires (I tries 3 different sets) and finally settled on the 175/65/14 Michelin that came on the car .. it rode like new again.

IMHO - Go wider and lower
OEM: 175 x 65 = 11,375 ( Alt OEM: 185 x 65 = 12,025 )
Nearest: 195 x 60 = 11,700
Enough of a difference in larger tire footprint to *make* a difference, and the slightly shorter sidewall will help it handle a little better - Most likely noticeable in quicker steering response

Difference is about 2.5%
So at a real 65mph your speedometer will indicate about 63.5
Not likely you'll get stopped for speeding for that spread.

No significant difference in price -vs- OEM size

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Riick
IMHO - Go wider and lower
OEM: 175 x 65 = 11,375 ( Alt OEM: 185 x 65 = 12,025 )
Nearest: 195 x 60 = 11,700
Enough of a difference in larger tire footprint to *make* a difference, and the slightly shorter sidewall will help it handle a little better - Most likely noticeable in quicker steering response

Difference is about 2.5%
So at a real 65mph your speedometer will indicate about 63.5
Not likely you'll get stopped for speeding for that spread.

No significant difference in price -vs- OEM size

Depending on quality of roads. If road are good, yes. If they are bad, then higher profile can be much more beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back