Real differences between PPHM, Mobil 1 HM, ect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! Been an oil lurker for a while and have spent some considerable hours trying to learn everything I can about different oils and the real scientific differences. I am mainly wanting to compare Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage, Mobil 1 High Mileage, and Valvoline Full Synthetic with "MaxLife". I am open to other oils like Quaker State Ultimate Durability but without any science behind it, I can't help but think of it as a cheaper Pennzoil. Not impressed with Castrol, Royal Purple, or Amsoil (especially for the premium price) based on what I have found.

So some backstory on the intended car, I have a 2003 Lexus GS300 that just turned over to 100k. It seeps/leaks a bit of oil just from just about everywhere but not very much of it. Not really enough to notice it on the dipstick and haven't needed to add more between changes. I got it from the dealership with a fresh Castrol synthetic blend and have performed two 5k changes with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. It seems to like this oil and runs very quietly. I would really like to get to 300k miles without having to tear the engine apart.

I understand that any fully synthetic oil will likely give the engine adequate protection but would like to give it the best case scenario without spending excess money. The three oils I have referenced can be picked up at Wally World in the $20-$30 range for a 5 quart jug which is awesome. So I am interested in metal protection but my main question is actually about the seal swell in these high mileage oils and how they differ. I have not been able to find much info on the high mileage versions of the three I have stated, or especially on how they differ in this regard. My leaking seems to only be from gaskets and not the seals so unsure if these will even help at all.

Based on the 540Rat Blog and http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html they all seem to be well balanced oils, but again no real info on how the seal swells perform. I do not want to add a separate seal swell agent for multiple reasons. I may also hose down the engine and try Mobil 1 HM on the next few changes to see if I can spot a difference. Everything I have read about the Mobil 1 and the cold temperature tests seems very good but I did not have great luck in my last car with it. Again my leakage is very minimal but existent and I would love to find an oil that would minimize it further or stop it completely. Really don't want to spend a weekend tearing apart the engine just because it leaks a bit.

Any info from people who have tried these for multiple change intervals or can find real science on it would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I found this really good channel on YouTube that I haven't seen posted on here before called Piotr Tester. In the last month he has begun doing some good wear testing on different oils (though sometimes different weights used). The high heat tests are interesting too and show Valvoline holding up really well. There are a lot of diesel oils and such but no Pennzoil Platinum as he is somewhere in Europe that is it not available (I believe I read Poland in the comments). May have to send him some myself if no one else does. Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLQb2UdBzX_lgTzaz4Ua1IA/videos

Forget the blog; there's a big thread on it. And, you were restrained with the time to your first post!

Anecdotally, I had good luck with Valvoline MaxLife years back, before it became an ILSAC lube. I couldn't say how it would perform now on a leaking engine. If the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage was working for you, it might be worth sticking with it.

I tried another HM oil back in the day, and it just didn't do the trick for me, so I went back to the MaxLife. Find what works and stick with it.

Haha yes when I registered I had a Cadillac CTS that didn't burn or leak and decided on Mobil 1 HM for a few oil changes before the piston rings spontaneously went out. Obviously can't blame that on the oil (likely those engines are just not very good) but it makes me hesitant to use it again. Now I'm onto a new car that will hopefully last me a lot longer. I certainly don't like that 540 Rat hasn't fully explained his test bed or put up a picture but it is just about the only comprehensive list using presumably real data that I can find. The "One arm bandit" is not conducted in the same fashion because the bearing scar is allowed to grow in size and heat up between tests, hopefully he is accounting for this. I have read through the entire thing and don't disagree with anything he has stated (which is a ton of info) so that makes me inclined to trust him. The YouTube channel I linked uses a very simple take on the one arm bandit that uses a controlled weight and fresh piece of metal then measures the scar size which I like.

But again, I think any of these provide adequate metal protection. The thing I can't find any info on is how the seal conditioners differ and their effectiveness. The Petroleum Quality Institute shows the chemical makeup of many oils but they hardly differ (perhaps not every chemical involved). What are the active chemicals that condition or swell seals? Is it more to do with the base stock?

Originally Posted By: flaviz
Haha yes when I registered I had a Cadillac CTS that didn't burn or leak and decided on Mobil 1 HM for a few oil changes before the piston rings spontaneously went out. Obviously can't blame that on the oil (likely those engines are just not very good) but it makes me hesitant to use it again. Now I'm onto a new car that will hopefully last me a lot longer. I certainly don't like that 540 Rat hasn't fully explained his test bed or put up a picture but it is just about the only comprehensive list using presumably real data that I can find. The "One arm bandit" is not conducted in the same fashion because the bearing scar is allowed to grow in size and heat up between tests, hopefully he is accounting for this. I have read through the entire thing and don't disagree with anything he has stated (which is a ton of info) so that makes me inclined to trust him. The YouTube channel I linked uses a very simple take on the one arm bandit that uses a controlled weight and fresh piece of metal then measures the scar size which I like.

But again, I think any of these provide adequate metal protection. The thing I can't find any info on is how the seal conditioners differ and their effectiveness. The Petroleum Quality Institute shows the chemical makeup of many oils but they hardly differ (perhaps not every chemical involved). What are the active chemicals that condition or swell seals? Is it more to do with the base stock?

As Garak noted, please read the more than one epic thread already existing on Rat's blog. There is one ongoing now that has a very good technical and analytical discussion.

As for seal conditioners (swellers) it may be that all motor oils have them to one extent or another. It is highly likely that all synthetic oils do, so it isn't as if they are only in HM oils. PQIA analysis only shows the various elements as obtained by an ICP analysis and this gives no indication to a specific chemical structure for any element presented, nor will it show any compounds that don't have elements tested during the ICP analysis. Unless someone comes in this discussion with insider information then you're not going to find an answer on the PQIA website nor in any "Blackstone" type analysis.

Originally Posted By: flaviz

Base stock has some relevance, but as was pointed out above, most oil components affecting seals won't show up in anything we're going to get in an ordinary oil analysis. All I've noted here over the years is that different HM oils work differently for different people in different applications with different problems.

When the old F-150 leaked, MaxLife 5w-30 did a great job. When I tried our Mobil Super 2000 5w-30 (the Canadian HM blend), an SM/GF-4 at the time, it started leaking worse again. I returned to MaxLife, and things improved. In a different vehicle, and perhaps with oil consumption versus leaking, the situation could very well have been reversed.

Good point, I had not thought of the readings simply as elements even though they clearly are. Well looks like I won't find any scientific answers to my high mileage questions. I do have a rear main seal from an old Land Rover that I never used, perhaps if I can age it a bit I could cut it in half and put it in each oil to see if there are any differences I can see. I do have a quart left over of each if anyone can think of a fairly simple test to perform. Thanks for the input either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back