Ready for the big one? (SNOW!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I think it's time to pick up the mail while I can still see the mailbox...

P1060099.jpg

It's time for a triple-shot espresso.
I need to show my wife these pictures so that she stops complaining about "cold weather" in So Cal when the temp is less than 55-60F.

WOW - those guys are really getting pounded out in Middle USA!!

We got pretty lucky here in SW PA - the prognosticators were calling for major issues, but we just got a little sleet/ice/snow and rain.
thumbsup2.gif

I've been hearing the same snowblower's erratic, hunting idle since 8:30 this morning. If his plug doesn't foul soon I think I'm going to go nuts.

Currently a fleet of tow trucks working on pulling out the hundreds of abandoned cars form LSD in Chicago. You can watch it live.

Pretty interesting stuff.

We ended up with about 15". I was shoveling the "big" driveway (about 10' x 50'), about one quarter done when one of my neighbors shows up and plows the rest for free!

Think I'll contract for someone to plow next winter.

Here's mine. Our subburb received 12" according to news channel. They allowed us to go home from work at noon, and the (Federal - GSA/DOD/etc.) complex was closed today. Here's some pics I snapped:

On my way home from work -- at noon...visiblity was 1/8 --> 1/4 mile at best. Speeds were 20-45, but at least we never stopped.

storm11_1.jpg

storm11_3.jpg

storm11_4.jpg

I had to shovel a lot in the back yard because it was as deep (or deeper) than our Sheltie. He was quite confused on "how" and "where" to do his jobs. I had to shovel a path to the back yeard -- because that's his "spot" He held it (duece) for about 18 hrs until he could get to his spot.

Here you can see it's already deeper than his underbelly on the deck, and that was still in the late afternoon (it snowed until ~ 11 PM):

storm11_7.jpg

storm11_5.jpg

storm11_6.jpg

The Lincoln did well -- even with the lousy GY RSAs:

storm11_2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lewdwig
I was shoveling the "big" driveway (about 10' x 50'), about one quarter done when one of my neighbors shows up and plows the rest for free!

Mine's about same size. Guys wanted $100 to plow it for me today. I declined. Took me about 2 hrs to clear it with a snow blower and a shovel, but at least I got some exercise!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: lewdwig
I was shoveling the "big" driveway (about 10' x 50'), about one quarter done when one of my neighbors shows up and plows the rest for free!

Mine's about same size. Guys wanted $100 to plow it for me today. I declined. Took me about 2 hrs to clear it with a snow blower and a shovel, but at least I got some exercise!

What type of blower do you have? Single stage I guess?
It took a couple hours to do my driveway yesterday morning, but I plow about 16 to 20' x 1200' with my ATV. It was about all the snow I could push... Last night I did it again but there was only about 6" of fluff so it took about 45 minutes.

From the morning paper:
Quote:
Sgt. Ann Wojas, spokeswoman for the Indiana State Police for the Lowell district, said black ice was being reported on many area interstates. Wojas urged motorists to reduce speeds to help avoid crashes.

"Snow and ice covered roads do not cause crashes, and slide-offs," Wojas said. "Careless driving does."
thumbsup2.gif

what were the snowfall amounts in different areas in NW Indiana?

With the intense lake effect snow fall, I'm thinking that they are 10-30% higher than the O'Hare measurement of 20.2"

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
what were the snowfall amounts in different areas in NW Indiana?

With the intense lake effect snow fall, I'm thinking that they are 10-30% higher than the O'Hare measurement of 20.2"
I wish I knew. With the drifting it's impossible for me to even guess. Here in Lake county the lake effect - which we hardly ever get, too far east - setup 2 hours before the main storm and didn't let up until about 2:30 Wednesday giving us a continuous 24 hour snowfall. It easily added 6" to the 21" reported at O'Hare.

My area of Chicago got about 18-20 inches. However we have drifts that are 5 feet or so. Spent all day yesterday out working in it, as I'm part of the snow removal crew for my campus.

My Outback is still buried in the street. Drifts are almost up to the windows on it.

I had a blast. Got into a nice 4x4 drift headed up one of our larger hills, had to feather it a bit to regain traction. Lots of fun!!

I watched a Cobalt try to get moving after stopping at a set of lights on a hill. It wasn't happening. They ended up having to back down, and go a different way. Also watched a Sunfire get stuck in a drift at a set of lights. He never made his green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back