Ready for first OCI on high-reving Honda. Few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2001 Acura Integra R (8400rpm redline)

Mileage: 22,000

Driving style: Company car allows this car to only see approx 1000 mi/year. Mostly highway driving done but track time in its near future. Car is driven roughly once a week.

This is the first change I'm doing myself. Oil is going to be GC Green 0w30. Car has been run on Mobil mineral oil (5w30) for last 3-4 changes through the dealer.

Purolator P1 is the filter I am chosing simply because Pepboys is closer to me than NAPA store. I've read tons on the "p1 does not flow as well....etc" but I'm in southern california and we just dont see cold/freezing temps. Will the P1 restrict some flow combined with the thicker oil? This engine revs high and I cannot afford to have issues with starvation.

I've also read quite a bit on the so-called "rinse" methods when switching from dino to synthetic and I think this is just overkill, although the oil has been in the vehicle for a year with 1000 miles on it. Should I consider something along those lines?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

TIA

I dunno about P1 and flow. I am using one now, first time. A rinse is only of you are going extended oci or doing a UOA on a special oil. Since the car has not seen a lot of service, I would actually run a few quick changes of dino and drive it hard(er). A strait 30 HDE0 like Delo 30 from AutoZOne or Rotella 30 from W*M yeah that would clear it out good...Motorcraft would be another good cleaner oil, it has a bunch of additives. After a few dino runs, GC away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back