Reactive or Proactive wheel alignments?

In the rust belt, I suspect if you wait too long, your factory alignment will become permanent barring expensive work

I'll be taking the Kroil and a MAPP Pro torch to the Fusion, as I suspect it's rolling the way the factory set it

If I am springing for a new set of rubber, I want to make sure the alignment is correct.
I also buy the lifetime alignment for my cars; for example the TSX with 210K has had numerous alignments.
Pay once cry once. Plus it was only $20 more, or something like that.
I too have lifetime alignments on 2 cars but am now wondering if it's a scam. Half the time I call they say their machines are down (I tried 3 locations once), and then when we do go in, their printer is magically not working. This is the chain store that starts with F and owned by a co in Japan that starts with B. The second syllable is stone. One time I mentioned them to a BMW dealer (I've paid BMW $150 one time) and they laughed and said the quality of the work is not the same, we weight your driver's seat blah blah blah....

I'm reactive only....for a reason

Every single gosh darn time I bring my car in for an alignment, it leaves worse than it was. I know I am picky...but dang, every single alignment trip turns into two or three visits. This is not just one shop, this is at least four different shops off the top of my head. I have NEVER found a competent alignment shop...the Good Lord knows I would love one that could dial in my Vette for AutoX days...but I still haven't found one that will let my car drive straight on OEM specs.

I too have lifetime alignments on 2 cars but am now wondering if it's a scam. Half the time I call they say their machines are down (I tried 3 locations once), and then when we do go in, their printer is magically not working. This is the chain store that starts with F and owned by a co in Japan that starts with B. The second syllable is stone. One time I mentioned them to a BMW dealer (I've paid BMW $150 one time) and they laughed and said the quality of the work is not the same, we weight your driver's seat blah blah blah....
I have the lifetime from 🔥 stone and the quality is definitely questionable. Took me 3 visits to get it right before. Either it would pull or the steering wheel would be crooked. I finally loosened the uCA to make the alignment way off to force them to not just do a tow n go.

I've joined the reactive group with my current 9.5 year old vehicle. Not a single alignment since new. Just installed the third set of new tires last December and tire wear continues to be very even. With excellent care, this Jeep Patriot has been phenomenally low cost of ownership (knock on wood, bless you Karma).
1667241195463.jpg

Last edited:
If I am springing for a new set of rubber, I want to make sure the alignment is correct.
I also buy the lifetime alignment for my cars; for example the TSX with 210K has had numerous alignments.
Pay once cry once. Plus it was only $20 more, or something like that.
Pay once, cry once. I like it....lol

Many, many years ago I did alignments at the local Ford dealer where I worked. When I went into business for myself I also did alignments. Never had any complaints, as I took the car for a test drive when done. There were times when I had to redo my work, but It didn't go out the door till right.
But regarding my own vehicles, even when I could do them my self, I RARELY ever needed to do mine, and I drove junk.

I only do alignments if there was a relevant part replaced or tire wear that indicated the need. My experience has been that so many shops have good alignment guys and bad alignment guys and so many variations in the condition and quality of the equipment used that I would never want to have one done if I didn't need one. I also will report that on the large fleet of vehicles I take care of alignments are very rarely needed... Usually here is it due to a curb shot when driving on ice....

You usually have to schedule two appointments: one for them to screw it up, the second to make them fix it.

That's exactly my fear with it.

If fact, the tire shop I just dropped our Pathfinder off at for new tires offered me a "free" alignment check with the new tires. I politely declined. With ~78K miles on the ticker, there's no undue tire wear or weird handling with this vehicle. They would likely find something of course given they do suspension and brake work as well.

I only align when necessary. The Corvette had to have an alignment due to a harmonic balancer installation and the Civic due to new front end parts were installed necessitating a re-alignment.

I have the lifetime from 🔥 stone and the quality is definitely questionable. Took me 3 visits to get it right before. Either it would pull or the steering wheel would be crooked. I finally loosened the uCA to make the alignment way off to force them to not just do a tow n go.
Yeah, I too have the Firestone lifetime alignment. I only go when I need to. Never had a problem scheduling one promptly and they never give me any trouble. But, they sometimes do a lousy job. I usually have to go 3x to get it right. Oh well, still a good deal lol, my time isn’t worth much I guess.

Back