Re: Valvoline 5w30 10w30 dino oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in WalMart tonight and as usual found myself in the motor oil isle looking at the various brand of oils. I noticed the Valvoline dino 5w30 10w30 implied it was ok to use if you have a turbo. Well, my Nissan Hardbody V6 4x4 doesn't have a turbo but I want to use the best dino oil possible. Presently, I use Pennzoil 5w30 winter and 10w30 warmer months. Is the Pennzoil the better choice? How about Castrol GTX?
Thanks

Personal opinion: either the Pennzoil or Castrol GTX would be a better choice. Since you are using Pennzoil, I recommend you stick with it.

Big Red, based on VOAs and UOAs some of the best looking conventional motor oils appear to be Pennzoil, Castrol, and Chevron Supreme. Now, not all different brands of conventional motor oil have been tested by memebers of this forum, but of those oils that have been tested, the three oils listed above appear to be very good.

There has, in addition to the VOAs and UOAs, been some limited amount of freezer testing of some motor oils. Pennzoil and Castrol seemed to flow well at pretty low temperatures. But the Chevron Supreme, according to information supplied by the tester, do not flow well in extreme cold. So maybe it is not a good choice in the wintertime if you live someplace where it is cold.

As far as I have been able to determine, based on the VOAs and UOAs that I have seen, Pennzoil and Castrol would be hard to beat as conventional motor oils.

Big Red,

I am absolutely confident that any of the three would give you superb service. Since you are already using PZ, I don't see any compelling reason for you to change.

[ October 17, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Yes, since you are already using Pennzoil, why switch? Pennzoil has done well at this web site in VOAs and UOAs. However, if it gets cold in the wintertime where you live, you might want to consider using Mobil 1 in the wintertime. There would be less wear in extreme cold. Another product to consider if you own a vehicle with a sludgy engine would be Auto-RX.

But..but...but...but...three out of four top rated mechanics choose Valvolinf for their own cars
dunno.gif

Just kidding-stick with Pennzpoil
grin.gif

Unfortunately, Valvoline (conventional) for whatever reasons has not looked sensational in VOAs and UOAs at this web site. People are not happy about the lack of moly, and some people claim that the Valvoline thins out too easily and that the additive formulation is weak. Personally I was using Valvoline before I came to this web site, and after I discovered this web site I switched to Chevron. Valvoline conventional in my previous cars seemed so-so, I really liked Valvoline MaxLife, and for whatever reason the Valvoline Synpower ran horrible in my car. I never tried Valvoline Durablend.

I think that Valvoline MaxLife is a very good oil. It is somewhat thicker then regular oil and really designed for older vehicles. My previous car ran great with it. But then again there are other similiar oils made by Pennzoil, Castrol, and Quaker State.

Now, Valvoline makes some oil supplements that contain moly and if used in reasonable amounts (do not thicken the oil too much) might make Valvoline conventional the same as any other oil. I don't know. But why should you have to add an oil supplement?

If you really want to use Valvoline I would recommend the Valvoline MaxLife in warmer weather (like 10W-30). But in colder weather I don't know if Valvoline MaxLife would necessarily be a good idea. In very cold weather Mobil 1 flows great and that is all there is to it. In cold weather you want an oil that flows very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back