re-thinking the syn, new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2001 camaro SS, ls1.

Im not sure what to use after the auto-rx treatment.... Im looking for max protection and cleanliness....but thinking maybe I dont need syn?

I can get mobil 1 0w-40 and chevron supreme 5w-30 supreme for basically free...

but would i be better off with a HDEO? 15w-40 for summer or whatever, but what is a cheap easy available HDEO available for cold starts down to 0 degrees F? maybe, delo 15-40 for summer, and i was thinking 10w-30 for winter, but figured it might not be the best for real cold starts....

Really, the only benefits of synthetic are longer change intervals, and better protection in extreme conditions. (weather/towing) If you can get it free...as long as you change the oil often there's no need for synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Really, the only benefits of synthetic are longer change intervals, and better protection in extreme conditions. (weather/towing) If you can get it free...as long as you change the oil often there's no need for synthetic.

I don't agree. A high quality synthetic will do a much better job of keeping your motor clean versus a dino.

If you can get Mobil 1 0w40 almost for free there, then go for it! We need to see an M1 0w40 UOA in an LS1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back