re thinking Milk and your health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Sweet tea is my crutch. I'll have the occasional craving for something carbonated. I have service-connected PTSD issues, and when my anxiety gets high, I binge eat for comfort. It's a major problem that's eventually going to catch up to me.

Gradually cut down on the sugar you put in the tea. You can get by on a lot less once you get use to it. You can't go from super sweet tea to unsweetened in a day like most people try to do, and fail.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Aspartame is poision just like tobaco. Some can handle it more than others. I have used snus in about 15 years and havent yet seen any negative effect from it.

Please provide proof. This is the most studied artificial substance on the planet and even the stringent folks in the EU studied it and found it to be safe.

Source: https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/aspartame
The sweetener aspartame and its breakdown products have been a matter of extensive investigation for more than 30 years including experimental animal studies, clinical research, intake and epidemiological studies and post-marketing surveillance. It has been found to be safe and authorised for human consumption for many years and in many countries following thorough safety assessments.

In December 2013 EFSA published its first full risk assessment of aspartame. The opinion concludes that aspartame and its breakdown products are safe for general population (including infants, children and pregnant women).

Dont want to be a burden. But thats not really any proof you can trust. Dont want to get political about eu or i will be kicked for a few days. Just dont recommend using aspartame.

Originally Posted by hatt
Sweet tea is my crutch. I'll have the occasional craving for something carbonated. I have service-connected PTSD issues, and when my anxiety gets high, I binge eat for comfort. It's a major problem that's eventually going to catch up to me.

Gradually cut down on the sugar you put in the tea. You can get by on a lot less once you get use to it. You can't go from super sweet tea to unsweetened in a day like most people try to do, and fail.

For years, I used to make it like my grandmother did... 1-1/2 cups of sugar to 1 gallon of tea. Over the past 2 years, I've cut that down to 1-1/4 cups, then 1 cup, 3/4 cup, and now at 2/3 cup of sugar to 1 gallon.

For years, I used to make it like my grandmother did... 1-1/2 cups of sugar to 1 gallon of tea. Over the past 2 years, I've cut that down to 1-1/4 cups, then 1 cup, 3/4 cup, and now at 2/3 cup of sugar to 1 gallon.

I use to just dump suger into the bottom of the pitcher till it looked right. I'm down to less than 1/4 cup per half gallon. I also don't make it all the time these days.

Edit. Looks like around 175 calories for the half gallon pitcher. Not too bad.

Last edited:

This is absolutely true. I have no phobia about sugar at all, but I cut my sugar in my tea by 25% with hardly any effort at all. I'm not sure I want to go to unsweetened. I'm sure I could, though.

With respect to milk, another thing we have to mention - and Shannow mentioned evolution - is that it's a rather handy product, and has been for a long time. Back when my grandparents farmed, they had cattle, and generally not to cut up for steaks. A couple of milk cows can produce a lot of food value each day when one is essentially subsistence farming. The same went for the chickens. The eggs were the value, not a chicken laying in a roaster.

Originally Posted by Garak

This is absolutely true. I have no phobia about sugar at all, but I cut my sugar in my tea by 25% with hardly any effort at all. I'm not sure I want to go to unsweetened. I'm sure I could, though.

With respect to milk, another thing we have to mention - and Shannow mentioned evolution - is that it's a rather handy product, and has been for a long time. Back when my grandparents farmed, they had cattle, and generally not to cut up for steaks. A couple of milk cows can produce a lot of food value each day when one is essentially subsistence farming. The same went for the chickens. The eggs were the value, not a chicken laying in a roaster.

cheers3.gif

As an aside, before I came along, my parents bought my paternal grandfather's farm and lived there. They were raising a few animals for their own use, too, besides crops. The animals really weren't for selling except perhaps some pork. They didn't sell much milk, either; they did sell a few eggs. They had a fair number of chickens, and would use some eggs and sell the rest. My dad used to grumble that every time his dad or his youngest brother visited the farm in those years, they'd have to have a chicken for supper. My paternal grandfather (maternal grandfather never owned an ICE engine, much less drove) would drive into the yard so slow the chickens wouldn't be spooked, and one would inevitably get run over. When his youngest brother would drive into the yard, he'd go so fast one could never get out of the way in time. So, there'd be an unplanned chicken meal.
wink.gif

With respect to my maternal grandfather, as my mother told me, they had cattle, but very rarely ate beef at the farm. The cattle were for milk. There was some pork and some chicken at times, with the chickens primarily for eggs, but mostly, there was hunting and trapping. Deer and rabbits were the choice. There are a lot of white-tailed deer in that part of the province.

My biggest complaint about milk isn't anything about being able to digest it (unless I go really overboard). I live alone, and it's pretty easy to buy even a small container of the product, forget about it for a few days, and find that I'm having to throw it out. Here, the handiness has turned into wastefulness.

I never was a big milk drinker. Early in our childhood years my folks switched to powdered milk to save money and the taste ruined it for me.

Garak, do they not sell UHT milk in Canada? I use a couple of ounces about 4 to 5 times a week in protein drinks. It won't spoil and has a long shelf life in the fridge.

Yes, it just finally got here, at least in the local stores. Other provinces might have gotten it sooner. I've tried it, and it seems to be a sensible solution. It's costly, but so is spilling out milk that I haven't consumed, and milk is generally costly up here. They've been advertising it on TV lately, and I found it on the shelves last week at more than one location. Superstore has ones with very distant expiry dates. I don't know what the other grocers are doing (are they hiding it in the back for weeks on end?), since the exact same product there is expiring like next week.

Another food anecdote about my maternal grandfather: My grandmother died around 1977-8, I believe it was. I was just a kid. A few weeks later, my mom was talking about getting him into an old folks home. So, I question her why that's necessary. She told me all he cooks for himself are weiners and eggs and potatoes, and he needs a better diet than that. If my mother hadn't died many years back, she'd have had to put me in a home, too, by now, by that same reasoning.
wink.gif

Yep that's the stuff. I buy a quart and it last me about three weeks. I don't have to worry about it going bad.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
Why is it called cow's milk but not almond's milk? Because we can't milk almonds?

I'm sure there is folks out there that think otherwise.
lol.gif

God: "What... what are they doing down there?"

Angel: "They're making milk from almonds."

God: "Why!? I gave them like 8 animals to get milk from."

Angel: "They don't like that milk."

God: (mockingly) "ThEy DoN't LiKe ThAt MiLk..." *flips table*

Originally Posted by PimTac
Yep that's the stuff. I buy a quart and it last me about three weeks. I don't have to worry about it going bad.

I found it in 1.5 L containers here (odd for milk here) for the homogenised. It works for me. It's better than buying a container for cereal, skipping a breakfast or two, and then finding sour milk.
wink.gif
I just don't drink enough of it and regularly enough to tolerate really short expiry dates. My habits with it are too irregular. Once in a blue moon, I'll go through a gallon before it expires, no problem. Next time, I pick up a litre, and don't even get through half of it.

Apologies for coming in late but, once upon a time, there was irradiated milk. Is there still such a thing? I still go through about two gallons a week of the regular. Addict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back