Re-Refined Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no doubt in my mind that if they can make a good oil out of the sludge they pump out of the ground, they can make a good oil out of used oil. I base this on the material in your reference and many other things I have read, plus my experience as a chemist.

If I thought I found a consistent supply of rerefined oil from somebody with a reputation to protect and at a discount to virgin, likely I would use it. The few times I have seen rerefined oil on a shelf, it has been from some no name. I do have to admit that usually, when I am looking at oil, I tend to ignore anything that isn't in a yellow bottle.

The government has strict regulations on labeling rerefined oil. It is funny, nobody needs to have a label on a car saying the transmission housing was once beer cans, or that your kitchen faucet contains old marine fittings, scrap wire, etc. Perhaps BP needs to show us how green they are, or somebody else to show their colors.

Off topic, but this re-refined oil reminds me of recycled paper being turned into TP over in europe. The thing is, the recycled paper TP actually costs more over there than new virgin paper TP. Now this just strikes me as being bass-ackwards. Just like with the recycled oil, IMO, it "should" be less expensive than new virgin oil.

It will be interesting to see how this market develops. I have yet to see any re-refined oil for sale in any of the local stores.

This also reminds me of the so called "bio-diesel" fuel which among other things, is from used french-fry cooker oil. It's more expensive than regular petrolium diesel fuel. Since bottom line cost is the deciding factor in many, if not most purchases, I don't understand where the market for this stuff is, except from perhaps the most hard core environmentalists.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
I don't see the word mandated. I see the words "EPA recommends".....

Your right, those might have been words from my mouth tried to sell Amsoil to FT. Bliss about 2 years ago, and the Motor Pool Manager said they were mandated to use the re-refined, the guy said that most bases were that way.

Here is more info on the military program:

http://www.dscr.dla.mil/pol/refined.htm

http://www.dscr.dla.mil/pol/

Yo unDummy, all I can say is a friend of mine in Germany told me the recycled paper TP cost more than the virgin stuff, at least over there. Maybe things have changed since then, if so that's good.

Who knows what's going on in the US and Canada??

Back about '95, I had some special note paper made as a gift, and they quoted me a higher price for recycled paper.

Our rerefinery closed down a few years ago - in it's last years it was under BP ownership.No question about the quality of the oil - sure they can clean it,but then have to dispose of the wastes...this is where the costs come in.Finally became a hot potato no one wanted to hold.

Rerefined oil can be produced by just removing the water, extensive filtration, and adding new additives to bring the oil up to the desired API Service Category. This will be a poor quality, short-life product.

Or, used oil can be hydrotreated and additized, and good quality oil will result--not as good as the best petroleum oil, but OK quality.

Or, used oil can be "slipstreamed" into the crude oil stream at about 1% feed rate, and refined as part of the crude. Used oil can also be slipstreamed into diesel fuel at about a 1% feed rate and just burned as fuel.

Most waste oil has the water removed and mixed into heavy fuel oil for consumption in industrial and marine boilers. I don't see the savings in rerefining oil--the oil that isn't burned in boilers will be replaced with virgin fuel oil. Hydrotreating rerefining does use less energy than making lube oil from crude, but using an extended drain oil also saves refining energy.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Rerefined oil can be produced by just removing the water, extensive filtration, and adding new additives to bring the oil up to the desired API Service Category. This will be a poor quality, short-life product.

Or, used oil can be hydrotreated and additized, and good quality oil will result--not as good as the best petroleum oil, but OK quality.

Or, used oil can be "slipstreamed" into the crude oil stream at about 1% feed rate, and refined as part of the crude. Used oil can also be slipstreamed into diesel fuel at about a 1% feed rate and just burned as fuel.

Most waste oil has the water removed and mixed into heavy fuel oil for consumption in industrial and marine boilers. I don't see the savings in rerefining oil--the oil that isn't burned in boilers will be replaced with virgin fuel oil. Hydrotreating rerefining does use less energy than making lube oil from crude, but using an extended drain oil also saves refining energy.
Ken

If this is the case that really doesnt' make sense for the Government, becuae they would be generating more waste oil than before if it wouldn't last as long. Would make more sense for them to use analysis program with synthetics and by-pass filteration. But then again what the **** do I know.

Back in the 1960's there was a brand called "McMillan Ring Free" motor oil here in California. It was re-refined here in Long Beach and sold right along side the Pennzoil and Valvoline, at nearly the same price. Since it met the hightest API ratings at the time, most people did not know that it was re-refined. The other re-refined oils were non-detergent cheap stuff sold in gallons.

Meeting API SC or SD was probably not that difficult by replenishing additives, but since we used leaded fuels back then, I don't know how they disposed of the residue left over from the process.

When I was in college many years ago I had a summer job with an oil rerefiner in Lansing, MI. All re refined oil came from the same tank, but on some bottles we put tops that said, "10W" on some we put "20W" and on some we put "30W." It just depended on what the customer wanted.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back