Re: M1 Syn ATF 2000 Tundra Transmission 120k

Status
Not open for further replies.
my next 4 posts will be prime examples of how smart (ok, never been SUCCESSFULLY accused) people can do stupid things. when i bought the Tundra in 2000, i had all of the oils shifted to syn at 3k. then i went along thinking i had it whupped until 100k, got busy and let things go to 120k. while i probably didn't do much damage, i went way over what i should have.

Code:

OIL M1 Syn ATF

MILES IN USE 120k

MILES 124k

SAMPLE TAKEN

ALUMINUM 10

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 100

COPPER 334

LEAD 17

TIN 7

MOLYBDENUM 0

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 2

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 21

SILICON 39

SODIUM 10

CALCIUM 89

MAGNESIUM 80

PHOSPHORUS 275

ZINC 198

BARIUM 5

INSOLUBLES 0.0

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 385

SUS VIS 210ºF 42.6

cSt @ 212ºF 4.98

TAN 1.3

Originally Posted By: PT1
Are all of these UOA's on over mileage oil in your truck some type of self flagulation ritual?

pretty much. engineers and pilots usually relate the worst things they have done in the hope that someone, somewhere avoids the same mistake they did. while i probably didn't do a lot of damage on any of the Tundra (although i wince at the transfer case), this is an example of putting too much faith in the Syn. will dial it back down to 50k on the next changes.

for an upbeat assessment of what i have done right, see my FX45 oil thread. after 92k, i finally seem to be going in the right direction...

if its any consolation - the average driver probably NEVER changes the lube in their xfer case. but... since you hang around here.... THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!

Did you flush or just drain/refill the pan?

Iron looks reasonable for the mileage run but copper is high enough to make me worry.

And, some wonder why components fail.

Is there a PSF UOA? Or, was that fluid completely neglected.

this was a complete drain and refill including a new transmission filter. the P/S fluid was replaced at 30k with M1 Syn ATF, and again at 100k. i actually was better on the P/S fluid than on anything else, i think. it is one of my hangups.

the truck is now used about 10-12k a year, mostly as a tow vehicle for medium duty (4000lbs or so).

Last edited:
So, if the complete drain/refill was not a machine or cooler line flush which means it was just a 1/2 change!

almost. when they took the sample, they did a pan drop and refill, which changed 3qts. then i decided to go ahead and to the filter and that got 6 more qts. so i have changed ~9 of 12. will probably do another pan drop in 20k or so. don't know of anyone local with a machine, but i guess i will look around as that is another option. may just do a pan drop and add every 20-30k from now on, that's actually the recommendation on my FX (drain and add 3qts every 30k).

Another good UOA, especially considering the miles. I don't think you can tell much on ATF, however, without a particle count. I have found that a good read on wear metals in a standard UOA can look starkly worse from a particle count POV. Also, next time, I suggest you send a sample of the virgin oil in with the UOA (which you will have to get from what you installed to have it from the same batch) and test it at the same time at the same lab (I'm told it keeps well for years in sample bottles). Costs more but delivers more accuracy and if you don't do it too often, the cost is not outrageous.

Again, thanks for posting these very useful and interesting snapshots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back