Re: Castrol GTX or Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys
Just wondering about these two dino oils ? I presently use Castrol GTX 5w30 colder months 10w30 warmer months. I change the oil every 3 months or 3000 miles (WCF) and always use the OEM oil filter with each change. Would Pennzoil offer better protection than Castrol? If so, will it do any harm to change brands? I have 58000 miles on my truck.
Thanks
confused.gif

They both are the only mainstream conventional oils that have moly in them, so either one is going to be excellent. You probably wouldn't notice any difference whatsoever between them, perhaps with oil analysis you would. Buy wichever one is cheaper at the time
cool.gif

I prefer the base oil( Grp II+) in the Pennzoil as a deciding factor over the two oils. Since they have been reformulated they both are good low cost oils.

Both do well at drain intervals in healthy engines of less than 5000 miles.

Shell will change some things as far as formulation as Pennzoil becomes a marketing name more than a lubricant company.

Castrol is really a chamelion of a marketing company here in the states, but they do have very well thought out oils,they just cut corners on components to remain competitive. Their Syn oils using esters in Asia and Europe are exceptional and rival Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, etc.

See the used analysis of Castrol, 10w-50 RS from Singapore, used in a 4 cyl Camry.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
They both are the only mainstream conventional oils that have moly in them, so either one is going to be excellent. You probably wouldn't notice any difference whatsoever between them, perhaps with oil analysis you would. Buy wichever one is cheaper at the time
cool.gif

Phillips Trop Artic Turbo OTC oil has moly and who knows who will use it next week the way the oil world turns these days plus they don't really anounce things to us.

I like a dino with moly but some cars simply don't need it as a must have to keep the motor alive if driven without a lead boot on the right foot all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back