RC51, Amsoil 10W40, 643 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last report. i changed it because i'm at 12 months. a change in my daily schedule makes it very inconvenient to ride the bike, hence the low miles. this interval used an amsoil oil filter. the amsoil 10W40 was packaged in the bottles labeled as motorcycle oil, dunno if that's different or not.

code:

Al 3

Fe 16

Cu 3

Pb 1

Mo 2

Mn 1

B 15

Si 4

Na 3

Ca 4536

Mg 45

P 1054

Zn 1149

SUS 100C 65.2

flash 350

fuel 1.3

insolubles 0.2

blackstone's comments: "... we found no contamination from water, however the lower flashpoint indicates a 1.3% fuel dilution. the viscosity was still in the normal range, and wear was not affected by fuel... the TBN read 12.9..."

i think this engine is doing really well. it does seem to shear oils down very quickly, though. the fuel is because of sitting in rush hour traffic at idle for such a long time, i think.

i used schaeffer's racing 20w50 this last time, and am very pleased with it. the cam gear drives are quieter, the engine seems a touch smoother, and the shifting is radically improved. will do a UOA on that oil, too. i noticed this weekend while moving some bottles that the schaeffer's 20w50 says "for v-twin motorcycles" on the front, so i guess they're targeting that oil for harleys, among other things.

-michael

Given the Houston climate, the shearing and the fuel dilution, I'd run the Amsoil Series 2000, 20w-50 racing oil in this application.

There is certainly no need to change oil annually; given the # of miles you drive. I'd simply test it once a year and change oil filters. With a TBN of 12.9 you could run this oil much longer. Fuel dilution will stablilize after a while and will not keep increasing. This will contribute to increasing the total solids level in the oil, but again this is an extremely slow process, given the rate at which you are accumulating miles.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

I don't recall seeing any oil including HDEOs with calcium levels this high.

What's with that? If that's a good number, I need a few gallons for cars that only do short trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back