Ravenol VSE 0/20 (VW 508), 9659 miles, 2019 VW Jetta 1.4t (TAN, TBN, PC)

Jetta_28,756.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What filter? Pathetic!
I guess I will stick with my oversized synthetic media 'domestic' filter, filtermag, and magnetic drainplug.

Not too crazy about the PPM iron level... especially from a timing belt engine.

Good that your driving style doesn't show oil dilution from fuel.

This is a high compression turbo GDI motor.... where's the LSPI magnesium? VAG thumbs nose at US oils!!!!

And, the good news:

Dyno confirms why I call this engine.... all torque no rev! Other than 1st gear, I just can't ever push it past 5000rpm and I see why from the dyno graphs.

I keep mine under 2000 shifts points and get 50mpg. I blast around with a 3000rpm shift point and get 38mpg. One is much more fun than the other.

I'm sticking with 5k intervals for now and am contemplating moving the grade upwards since I am already overboosted. Waiting on APR to compare to Unitronic before dumping the JB4.

Thanks for sharing. That does seem like quite a bit of iron at your mileage, I wonder what part of the engine it is coming from?

WOW! This oil held up very well for nearly 10,000 miles.

Yes it did.

Kinda wish I knew what was in it from the factory though.

Thanks for sharing. That does seem like quite a bit of iron at your mileage, I wonder what part of the engine it is coming from?

You're welcome.

I am not concerned about the iron, if i wanted to figure out what part it is coming from I would start by figuring out what is iron in the engine... I'm sure it will be right in line with next time around.

Trends...not ppm per se.

Ravenol makes some good oils. I have used their 0W16 EFE for many miles in the past.

Duck, what are your thoughts, based on experience, Ravenol vs Castrol ?

Last edited:
Duck, what are your thoughts, based on experience, Ravenol vs Castrol ?

Ravenol. The second run is Castrol Professional LLIV FE. I'm not even sure it can still be had, but I wouldn't buy it again anyway.

I think I have enough Ravenol for another change, after that I guess I decide if I stick with it, or try the VW Mobil offering.

What filter? Pathetic!
I guess I will stick with my oversized synthetic media 'domestic' filter, filtermag, and magnetic drainplug.

Not too crazy about the PPM iron level... especially from a timing belt engine.

Good that your driving style doesn't show oil dilution from fuel.

This is a high compression turbo GDI motor.... where's the LSPI magnesium? VAG thumbs nose at US oils!!!!

And, the good news:

Dyno confirms why I call this engine.... all torque no rev! Other than 1st gear, I just can't ever push it past 5000rpm and I see why from the dyno graphs.

I keep mine under 2000 shifts points and get 50mpg. I blast around with a 3000rpm shift point and get 38mpg. One is much more fun than the other.

I'm sticking with 5k intervals for now and am contemplating moving the grade upwards since I am already overboosted. Waiting on APR to compare to Unitronic before dumping the JB4.

Well good for you.

New tab worked thanks. Not sure if I'd be happy with that iron or not, certainly not alarming despite Blackstones comments it seems a bit above average. The oil itself appears very stout and a great choice in a VW 508. I don't think I've seen a 508 yet that made a poor showing.

Still suspicious of a 20 grade in a VW anyway! ;)

Back