RAVENOL USVO VST 5W-40 any other oil on the market that is better ?

BDK

I'm looking for a high HTHS and LOW NOACK and came across the Ravenol USVO 5W-40 mets API SN and ACEA A3/B4 and the characteristics are below

I could not find another 5W40 oil that meets both API SN and ACEA A3/B4 and with better NOACK and HTHS values....can you?

HTHS at 150°CmPа*s3,9ASTM D5481
CCS Viscosity at -30°CmPa*s4700ASTM D5293
Low Temp. Pumping viscosity (MRV) at -35°CmPa*s13.900ASTM D4684
Pourpoint°C-51DIN ISO 3016
Noack Volatility% M/M7,4ASTM D5800/b

Probably won't find an approved oil with better numbers but you pay for the privilege. The Red Line in most instances is going to be somewhat heavier in viscosity for the grade indicated.

The ROWE looks really good!

Motul sport 5w40 has HTHS 4.0 no NOACK info the the pdf or their website....
F296DAEE-3A27-425C-933F-0728647180BA.jpeg

I’ve emailed Fuchs about the TITAN Race pro S , it’s supposed to have really good numbers also...

The Motul description above is full of word play.

“Ester technology: 100% synthetic formula based on ester...”

That would lead some to believe it is 100% ester base which is actually detrimental. The Germans use the term synthetic technology to describe a Group III base so take that as you may.

In Europe we don't care about API ratings. Therefore I would be very surprised if Motul actually license any of their oils with the API.

Here it's either ACEA or manufacturer specifications. The ACEA don't do an approval system, you self qualify and most people don't understand the 'meets or exceeds', 'suitable for' and 'approved' thing so pick up whatever they can find on the sheft that has the specification they require. Most cars here do well in excess of 10,000miles or 1 year between intervals.

Should be fine to rob some power and as an engine flush until Porsche can find a modern standard to adopt, new base oils and FM arrive at BITOG or BDK finds his way to the right Rimula HDEO. If only because these old Motul Sport Ester oils look like more or less extinct anyway :)

Then of course let's immediately throw each and every dice of personal fixations. Maybe we can agree on an exact OCI for that purpose.

Last edited:
In Europe we don't care about API ratings. Therefore I would be very surprised if Motul actually license any of their oils with the API.

Here it's either ACEA or manufacturer specifications. The ACEA don't do an approval system, you self qualify and most people don't understand the 'meets or exceeds', 'suitable for' and 'approved' thing so pick up whatever they can find on the sheft that has the specification they require. Most cars here do well in excess of 10,000miles or 1 year between intervals.
I agree. But in this case the Motul Sport 5W-40 doesn't even claim to meet or exceed any ACEA sequence, the only thing it claims "compatibility" with is API SN/CF. Which is fine, but as shown in this thread "compatibility" is then sometimes equated to an actual license which this oil does not have.

Most of these "meet and exceed" oils list more than one license or approval they claim to be compatible with, I'd say this particular oil is an exception in that it only makes the claim for API SN/CF.

I'm in the UK Redline looks OK but it's almost double the price. For around £40 - £50 the Motul is the 5w40 with the best HTHS and noack ratings I could find available in the UK so there's that....if you can find a 5W40 that has better specs than HTHS 4.0 and noack 4.7 and costs around £40 - £50 please let me know!

Last edited:
I'm in the UK Redline looks OK but it's almost double the price. For around £40 - £50 the Motul is the 5w40 with the best HTHS and noack I could find available in the UK so there's that....if you can find a 5W40 that has better specs than HTHS 4.0 and noack 4.7 and costs around £40 - £50 please let me know!

If you shop around you can get Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 for £24-£26 per 5 litres. Do you really need anything better?

Reactions: SR5
Considering the plethora of licenses and certifications Helix actually has I’d consider that quite a bargain.

Last edited:
ÿou can find
I'm looking for a high HTHS and LOW NOACK and came across the Ravenol USVO 5W-40 mets API SN and ACEA A3/B4 and the characteristics are below

I could not find another 5W40 oil that meets both API SN and ACEA A3/B4 and with better NOACK and HTHS values....can you?

0w40

you can use 5W50 or 0W50

Back