Ravenol 0w30 FES vs. Ravenol 0w30 SSO

JXW

2016 BMW 528i Xdrive. B20/N20 motor. Purchased and installed Ravenol 0w30 FES at 101,000 miles. I had been using dealer formula/bulk since 28K miles with no certainty that I was getting the "Correct Spec" for the B motor. They always added engine oil additive from Valvoline each change despite the owners manual sayg this is forbidden. Sometimes they put in LL-01 sometimes it was LL-17FE. recently broached the subject with dealer staff up to the GM and felt that the explanations for the variabilty was unacceptable. Poor controls internally and not a great understanding of the true spec for the B/N motor--0w-30. No grade was ever listed on the work order.

Found another dealer with similiar distance and they would permit me to provide my oil. First my first service with them last month I used the Ravenol 0W-30 FES. I did approve a 15 minute BG motor oil/engine flush. I did not allow them to add the BG engine oil additive just the Ravenol oil.

I want to stay with Ravenol so my question is should I be only using the SSO formulation. My choice is the 0w-30 weight. My interval is approx 9,000 miles with 95% highway at full speeds. The car is stored inside when not driven. No UOA for perspective.

SSO vs. FES Let's go gents.

What specs do the respective oils meet and why those oils?
1621092823088.jpg

Recommended grade for B20/N20 is 5W-30 / 5W-40

My choice would be Ravenol VST 5W-40
MB-APPROVAL 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE-01
VW 502 00VW 505 00
PORSCHE A40

Lubrizol.jpg

Ravenol.jpg

Attachments

• Ravenol.jpg
    Ravenol.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 15
First of all, grade is not important as HTHS.
Second, your engine is probably most fragile one from that generation. Timing chain guides are/were ticking bomb. BMW with update of its specifications in 2018 introduced specific timing chain test on N20 engine. In nutshell, you want oil that is thick, but has lower Zinc levels. Best solution? Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 that is API SP. It has LL01 too, fairly thick, very low on Zinc.
To answer your question, FES is thinner, fuel efficiency oil. I would skip it in engine that has timing chain issues and is known to occasionally blow turbo. If Ravenol is a must, go SSO, but I would go Pennzoil as I suggested.

Last edited:
I've used FDS in the Benz, works great. 5W-30 MB 229.6.
However I'm moving to VST next oil change, MB 229.5 5W-40. Only because I'm in Florida.

First of all, grade is not important as HTHS.
Second, your engine is probably most fragile one from that generation. Timing chain guides are/were ticking bomb. BMW with update of its specifications in 2018 introduced specific timing chain test on N20 engine. In nutshell, you want oil that is thick, but has lower Zinc levels. Best solution? Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 that is API SP. It has LL01 too, fairly thick, very low on Zinc.
To answer your question, FES is thinner, fuel efficiency oil. I would skip it in engine that has timing chain issues and is known to occasionally blow turbo. If Ravenol is a must, go SSO, but I would go Pennzoil as I suggested.
Thank you for this. I want to stay with 0W-30 so I will swap after 5k and try SSO same grade. Interestingly the dealer put anything in they wanted to including LL 17 - FE which is 0w-20. I do like the "butt feel" with the revanol in it now, maybe the PAO or that and slightly thinner. At full throttle it feel like it pulls smoother. I did have the fuel treatment last service so maybe some effect from that too that enhances the experience.

Also the B20 motor from 2016 forward had the timing chain remedy from the factory so no potential issues with that situation.

Thank you for this. I want to stay with 0W-30 so I will swap after 5k and try SSO same grade. Interestingly the dealer put anything in they wanted to including LL 17 - FE which is 0w-20. I do like the "butt feel" with the revanol in it now, maybe the PAO or that and slightly thinner. At full throttle it feel like it pulls smoother. I did have the fuel treatment last service so maybe some effect from that too that enhances the experience.

Also the B20 motor from 2016 forward had the timing chain remedy from the factory so no potential issues with that situation.
Just a FYI. The engine code is B48 rather than B20. The B-series engines (I4/I6) were designed to use 20w but of course 30w and 40w are acceptable.

Now your engine is code N20B20 (probably N20B20T0).

If you're interested in what this codes means - > BMW Engine codes explained

Last edited:

Only reason why BMW is using 0W20 is fuel efficiency. But, BMW released recently LL19 specification that is HTHS 3.5 and above. That is sign BMW is keeping heavy oils in use in markets where emissions are calculated differently. That also tells you what is BMW’s actual preference what oil to use.

Only reason why BMW is using 0W20 is fuel efficiency. But, BMW released recently LL19 specification that is HTHS 3.5 and above. That is sign BMW is keeping heavy oils in use in markets where emissions are calculated differently. That also tells you what is BMW’s actual preference what oil to use.
That is interesting to know. Are there any LL19 oils on the market yet?

Again, is this an N20 or a B48 engine? Since it's supposed to be a 2016 I suspect it to be a B48B20.
What does the manual call for? If it does list BMW LL-04 and you're running low-sulphur fuels I'd
suggest running some full synthetic LL-04. On the Mini with its delicate N16 engine I currently use
Ravenol REP 5W-30. It's highly regarded on BMW forums. Alternatively RSP 5W-30 w/ BMW LL-01
or M1 ESP 5W-30. All excellent HTHS and Noack numbers.

btw, never heard of "BMW LL-19" before.....

Again, is this an N20 or a B48 engine? Since it's supposed to be a 2016 I suspect it to be a B48B20.
What does the manual call for? If it does list BMW LL-04 and you're running low-sulphur fuels I'd
suggest running some full synthetic LL-04. On the Mini with its delicate N16 engine I currently use
Ravenol REP 5W-30. It's highly regarded on BMW forums. Alternatively RSP 5W-30 w/ BMW LL-01

This is the N20 engine. I did a VIN decode to verify this. Dealer looked up the VIN and stated 0w-30 is the correct grade. Interestingly the label in he engine bay says 0w-20. My choice will be to stay at the 30w and higher and not go back into the 20w. At one point last year, I started the car after it had been sitting for days and I noticed heavy blue smoke for the the first 15 seconds or so. That was a first for my car and also I believe had the LL-17FE spec oil (0w-20) installed by the dealer still in the sump.

That's quite interesting. I thought BMW had replaced the N20 by the B48 quite some time before 2016. Probably that applies only for Europe and they perhaps continued to make the N20 for NA markets?
Anyway, does your manual mention BMW LL-04? If I'm not mistaken most fuel is low-sulpher in the US now and if that's the case it would make LL-04 (mid-SAPS) oil appropriate and the better choice for your N20, after warranty at least.

Yep, LL19 is a new thing.
This is where I saw it:

Last edited:
Many thanks. I still have a hard time to find a second reference. On their UK site they only mention LL-04:

So, could it be just a typo in that PI? Is it actually just LL-04 in its "2019 revision"? I know BMW did a revision quite recently.

Shell being Shell again with PDS I suspect, I get nothing when I Google LL-19 FE as listed on the PDS.

There is this thing with Shell, but I wouldn’t be surprised if BMW did new update of LL04.
Usually Shell would assign wrong approval or provide 0W20 numbers to W40 oil. But this is bit too specific.
We will see.

Back