Rattling noise around 2200rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a Honda K20 engine with close to 200k km on it.
Somehow it has developed this rattling noise that happens when engine speed climbs up and down past approximately 2200rpm on the tach.

Car is 7 years old and I don't recall seeing that much rust around the exhaust area last time it was on a hoist.

I found a youtube video that's has the same sort of noise when the car owner revs up his engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytBChDPLvZY

I'm leaning towards a heatshield, but I thought maybe heatshield would rattle at even low speed and gets louder as engine speed goes up?

Hard to guess but if it gets louder (usually a humming sound) points to a wheel bearing..but again..unless someone has same car and had similar issue..hard to say. Mine makes it sound like the engine is louder once im driving over 60km/h..

Last edited:
I can get the same noise while the car is stationary when I bring the engine speed across that point in neutral.

Also, it's a metallic ting sound.

Last edited:
If the engine has hyraulic lifters it could be those unlesd it sounds completely different
When they start to rattle they do so at a certain rpm which is different in every engine, in my case they start to rattle at 1400rpm

Originally Posted By: wing0
I can get the same noise while the car is stationary when I bring the engine speed across that point in neutral.

I've had a couple vehicles (not Honda) that got a rattle near 2000 rpm, it was in once case the header heat shield, another time it was the cat.

Have someone manipulate the throttle while you listen to locate it...once found a simple matter to secure it.

In my experience as well with Honda's or other brands and from the You Tube Video that you provided, this noise certainly does sound like one of the engine or exhaust heat shields or something in the exhaust system itself.

Hope you find it and keep us posted,

CB

I thought maybe heatshield would rattle at even low speed and gets louder as engine speed goes up?

No. A heat-shield will rattle at certain frequencies. The exhaust system will vibrate at different frequencies as the engine is revved, and it takes just the right one for the shield to rattle.

Your problem is about 99% sure to be a heat-shield.

When the heat-shield rusts, it's usually at one of the mounting bolts. That means the shield is loose at that one point, and is still firmly-attached everywhere else.

You can find a loose shield by getting under the car and tapping the shields with your finger, lightly, one by one in different places. The rattly part will become very obvious.

if it isnt the Ex/cat shield, it could be the converter core disentigrating and rattling or an internale ngine issue, ie a rod bearing or wrist pin. The rod and wrist tend to knock when unloaded and often have a double clack. But if you are getting ting sound most likely exhaust sheetmetal loose.

My guess is it's either an inner or outer CV joint. Check underneath if any CV axle is loose. 2000 and 4000 RPM are when resonance noise comes out of an axle problem.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
My guess is it's either an inner or outer CV joint. Check underneath if any CV axle is loose. 2000 and 4000 RPM are when resonance noise comes out of an axle problem.

I think you missed this post:

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My bad. That's not CV axle noise if it's making the same sound at that RPM when car is stationary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My bad. That's not CV axle noise if it's making the same sound at that RPM when car is stationary.

Exactly
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I thought maybe heatshield would rattle at even low speed and gets louder as engine speed goes up?

No. A heat-shield will rattle at certain frequencies. The exhaust system will vibrate at different frequencies as the engine is revved, and it takes just the right one for the shield to rattle.

Your problem is about 99% sure to be a heat-shield.

When the heat-shield rusts, it's usually at one of the mounting bolts. That means the shield is loose at that one point, and is still firmly-attached everywhere else.

You can find a loose shield by getting under the car and tapping the shields with your finger, lightly, one by one in different places. The rattly part will become very obvious.

I believe it's fixed.
Went under the car and wiggled the heatshield on the cat and saw the cracks. Headed to home depot and got two hose clamps and wrapped both ends tightly.

No more noise for now. I hope it'll hold for a while. Can't win battle against the salt and rust here...

I believe it's fixed.
Went under the car and wiggled the heatshield on the cat and saw the cracks. Headed to home depot and got two hose clamps and wrapped both ends tightly.

No more noise for now. I hope it'll hold for a while.

You might need to get under and re-tighten the clamps at some point, but they should work for at least a few winters.

By the way, "wiggling" is not the most effective method of locating loose heat-shields. Tapping them lightly and repeatedly with a fingertip is the best method. Once the fingertip method finds the rattle, then the wiggle method comes into play to determine the exact location.

I believe it's fixed.

No more noise for now. I hope it'll hold for a while.

You might need to get under and re-tighten the clamps at some point, but they should work for at least a few winters.

By the way, "wiggling" is not the most effective method of locating loose heat-shields. Tapping them lightly and repeatedly with a fingertip is the best method. Once the fingertip method finds the rattle, then the wiggle method comes into play to determine the exact location.

I agree.

I first used my fingertip to press on the heatshield, but then when I saw where it cracked. I started to wiggle a bit to see how far does it move.

I then put on one clamp at the area that moves the most and tried to rev the engine, but still heard the noise.
That's when I put another clamp on the other end, tightened both and verified that the noise is gone.

Under $6 fix vs cutting the bolts off(I don't think it'll come off easily with the rust) and putting new shields on.

I first used my fingertip to press on the heatshield,

Not "press", but TAP. Like knocking on a door, but very lightly. Tap tap tap tap tap... all over the shield(s). You need to set up a vibration that works in all directions, not just in the "press" direction. And that takes a very light touch.

The solid areas will sound solid. The loose areas will sound tinny and rattly. Once you've located all the rattly areas, that's when you start pressing and wiggling.

Finally, worm-drive clamps are ideal for securing loose heat-shields, but watch out: there are worm-drive clamps out there that are made of regular steel. These rust. The ones in the plumbing department will be stainless steel. These are best.

I first used my fingertip to press on the heatshield,

Not "press", but TAP. Like knocking on a door, but very lightly. Tap tap tap tap tap... all over the shield(s). You need to set up a vibration that works in all directions, not just in the "press" direction. And that takes a very light touch.

The solid areas will sound solid. The loose areas will sound tinny and rattly. Once you've located all the rattly areas, that's when you start pressing and wiggling.

Finally, worm-drive clamps are ideal for securing loose heat-shields, but watch out: there are worm-drive clamps out there that are made of regular steel. These rust. The ones in the plumbing department will be stainless steel. These are best.

Got them from plumbing department in Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/metal-gear-clamp-6-inch/982545

Should be ok, not stainless steel, but galvanized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back