rattle at idle, goes away with rpm increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove the accessory drive belt and try to reproduce the sound. This will determine if the noise is within the engine or not. Automatic belt tensioners are also common on these.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
You mentioned plugs. Replaced yet?

not yet... I plan on doing it over the weekend, my current ones aren't all that old 15,000 miles on them.. but i've read over on the Saturn forums that these cars really only like OE plugs and may attribute to any idle issues. but i am not so sure this rattle is related as it is brand new, and the current plugs have been there for a while.

Last edited:
Check the cat converter to. You said it burns oil the car is older there is a good chance the honeycombs inside are rattling. It's pretty common and fits what you are describing. You can check it by smacking the cat when it's cold with your fist if you a rattle noise it's shot.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Check the cat converter to. You said it burns oil the car is older there is a good chance the honeycombs inside are rattling. It's pretty common and fits what you are describing. You can check it by smacking the cat when it's cold with your fist if you a rattle noise it's shot.

Cool, I will check this too, it would surprise me though because the sound seems to be coming from the more forward end of the car, however if the sound is bouncing off of the ground I suppose it could still be it. (i guess sometimes its hard to pinpoint where a sound is coming from when you are in the car)

Front passenger? Diesel sound? Could be the chain
frown.gif
I agree with the removal of the serpentine belt, and run the car (for a very short while!) and see if it still makes noise.

UPDATE: so after getting home this evening and having my wife sit in the car and listen to it as I pressed against things under the hood, the first thing I pressed was my passenger side head light.... VIOLA and it is the culprit.. shaking to death, and surprised i haven't noticed it until now....

So does anyone know how to tighten it I don't see anything obvious to tighten it besides the adjustment screws.

Its funny how my mind always starts at the worst possible outcome, and the issue turns out to be hardly a big deal at all... at least it always makes for a big sigh of relief

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back