Rats! :Warning: Not for the squemish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
What in your neighborhood do you think might be causing the abundance of rats? Do you live near a garbage dump?
A few years ago SoCal had a huge fire. It stopped about 5 miles south of us. Since then the whole area has been invaded with all kinds of critters. I assume they were running from the fire and ended up here?

I'm in the middle of the desert. No restaurants or dumps for miles.

Tonights rat report.

1 confirmed sighting
1 shots fired.
No kills.
1 report of scratching noises from Camaro. Noises uncomfirmed at this time.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
What in your neighborhood do you think might be causing the abundance of rats? Do you live near a garbage dump?
A few years ago SoCal had a huge fire. It stopped about 5 miles south of us. Since then the whole area has been invaded with all kinds of critters. I assume they were running from the fire and ended up here?

I'm in the middle of the desert. No restaurants or dumps for miles.

That makes sense. We had a big fire close by our vacation cabin in SW Ontario and had all sorts of extra wildlife passing by even a few years afterward. We had a black bear sow plop down just 20 feet outside the back door to nurse her two cubs while we were inside. Pretty alarming, but also pretty cool.

As soon as your burned area starts growing back, I'm guessing the rats will move back in (and away from you).

Originally Posted By: carlprop
If you had snakes in the area, something like gopher snakes, that would help.
I brought 2 home a couple of years ago. Big ones...6ft or so. Have not seen either in a couple of years now.

The result.

0617092020.jpg

Chris, that rat obviously died of lead poisoning. That car must have had some of that Chinese wring with lead in the insulation.

When I lived on Long Island one spring summer we had a rat problem. It seems the county was short on money and stopped their rat abatement program. Anyway the rats were out in force. After several of the neighbors complained the village came around with this pretty effective rat trap. It was not the most humane of traps but it worked, and worked well.

They took a plastic barrel, about 55 gallons IIRC. They took a dowel or broom stick, and attached a coffee can to the center of it. At the center of the rim of the 55 gallon plastic drum they cut two notches for the dowel with the coffee can to sit in and spin when turned. They put a board that lead up the side of the barrel and coated the coffee can with peanut butter, then put about 2' of water in the barrel. The rats would go up the plank, reach for the peanut butter and the can would spin and the rats would fall in the water. The trap worked like a charm!

Pellet rifles are cool, this trap works when you want to get some sleep, and you don't have to worry about poisoning the dog.

AD

I went to the pound this morning and got the biggest and oneryest cat they had.

He's been sleeping on my bed since 10A.
27.gif

0620091505.jpg

PETA would love you bringing the "little kitty home" Oh wait the kitty is going on a Rat killing murder spree......
shocked2.gif

0620091653.jpg

Ahhhh the little puddy woke up!

Huh? "You talking to me"........spoken like Robert DiNiro....

Probably need to be older to get that one......

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
It was not the most humane of traps but it worked, and worked well.
I understand and appreciate that any nuissance (or game) animal should be killed quickly and cleanly, but somehow the slow drowning death does not bother me when it comes to rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back