Rare Mountain Lion Killed in KY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable how some posters here think that everything and anything that can harm "the children' should be eradicated. Sad.

I'll bet fear-mogering, overly protective parents are responsible for more nonsense than common sense in this country. Always the rugrats.

As far as I can see people raise kids in Alaska just fine. You know...the state that has tons of bear and many other dangerous animals?! Maybe they should all be killed though? Wouldn't want the toddler to get eaten now, would we?

Geesh.

http://gazette.com/cougar-awareness-raised-near-site-of-attack/article/152434

Trapped and euthanized AFTER the cat caused harm.

They must not be that hard to trap...

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/nature-and-technology/illegal-hunting-trips-tragedy-commons-87350/

I still maintain the argument that just killing them on site is stupid; areas where there are populations of cougars like Colorado and California have wildlife management policies to control them aside from eradication. LICENSED hunting by CITIZENS as a means to control and analyze population numbers, trapping and euthanizing when a cat becomes a problem, tracking and relocating etc.

Last edited:
I live in Michigan (formerly U.P) where we co exist (mostly) with black bears and wolves. I'm going to alter my original opinion just a bit after researching this matter more. Since I kill mice that enter my home and on occasion have killed racoons I could not keep out of our chickens, attic, etc., I would be a hypocrite to say we should never kill animals such as mountain lions.

Boulder Colorado seems to live with mountain lions and their policy seems very reasonable. In short, they acknowledge the low level risk and attempt to manage the problem with many alternatives, one being to kill them when necessary. In my line of work we call this IPM (Integrated Pest Management).

This is an excellent read, and a reasonable approach in my opinion:

http://user.govoutreach.com/boulder/faq.php?cid=23373

Yes, unfortunately sometimes we have to kill things, like the mice I don't allow to live in my house. The Kentucky situation?? It seems like a knee jerk reaction and they are certainly taking the hysteria approach to justify their actions. On the other hand, they were not prepared to handle this rare situation and maybe we can only chock it up to a learning experience and move forward.

A Mountain Lion in that type of human inhabited area is very dangerous. Mountain Lions will attack people and especially kids no question. Why people would make lite of that is beyond me? They are one of the most dangerous predators in North America. Apparently this farm was not far away from a city/town as well( Paris, KY population 9700+ ). That animal clearly doesn't have the fear of humans it should and if not dealt with will become even more dangerous as it loses all fear.

As the man from Texas says once any predator becomes comfortable around humans it will keep coming back and even more so with a predator that has a defined range like a Mountain Lion. While I agree it seems a shame to have shot it if it had not done any damage yet I also see the reason for it as far as preventing future harm.

We aren't talking a Mountain Lion on some remote farm in the wilderness or up a tree 200 miles from any humans. It appears the animal was not far from a city/town with close to 10,000 people which means a lot kids. Just not good people. That animal had no place where it was and, yes, children at risk is a very real danger! Just this past September a Mountain Lion grabbed a 6 year old boy in California who was hiking with his parents. Right in broad daylight.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/07/mountain-lion-attack-cupertino-california_n_5781858.html

Do you wait for a predator in an area with kids to actually hurt/kill one before you deal with it? Not me. I wager some of you saying that concern is overblown would be the 1st ones hollering and blaming officials if it was your kid who was injured, or worse, if they knew a dangerous predator was around and didn't deal with it.

As far as relocating the animal. I agree that would be the best solution( if it works - the guy from TX says they return which I believe could happen - although others say it works so? ). However, I think you all are missing some key issues with that even if it is a viable solution. One is it was getting late/dark and the animal very easily could have got away in the dark plus a human should not be messing with a Mountain Lion in the dark. That human is going to get hurt if they try!.

The other issue I think people aren't taking into consideration, which they should, is if there hasn't been a sighting of a Mountain Lion in the area( or even state )for 150 years do you really think the Wildlife Officers have the equipment and training to actually trap one and relocate it? Be serious folks. You need the proper equipment and training to not only safely relocate the Mountain Lion but to keep the people doing it safe. I feel it is unreasonable for people to think this was a solution given the circumstances. That sounds like emotions talking and not reason and common sense to me.

It is truly sad that the animal was shot but I am not going to crucify people for doing so nor expect them to be able to do something they aren't equipped for or trained for.

Just my
49.gif

Tranquilizing it would have been far to difficult to do I guess...
But then I'm probably expecting to much of this fish and wildlife officer.....

Originally Posted By: CT8
Mountain lions are bad news years ago when people had common sense they hunted mountain lions and wolves almost out of existence for a reason.

Non intelligent people are far more dangerous and deadly than mountain lions. We should corner and kill them too. It would make the world a safer place.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: CT8
Mountain lions are bad news years ago when people had common sense they hunted mountain lions and wolves almost out of existence for a reason.

Non intelligent people are far more dangerous and deadly than mountain lions. We should corner and kill them too. It would make the world a safer place.
Probably we been trying to do it in the middle east for years. But it seems to not be working.

The mentality of killing mountain lions and wolves on sight is old school fear at its best. I've lived in mountain lion territory with no worries in the past. I'd do it again.

Same with wolves. Wolves were never killed off here, and today there are over 3500 of them roaming our northern woods. I hunt, hike, and camp sharing the same woods with them routinely. The mentality "they could hurt me" or hurt my kids is awful.

Respect the wolf and mountain lion, yes. Fear them, no.

Your kid could get hit by a car. Better eradicate those too...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
A Mountain Lion in that type of human inhabited area is very dangerous. Mountain Lions will attack people and especially kids no question. Why people would make lite of that is beyond me? They are one of the most dangerous predators in North America. Apparently this farm was not far away from a city/town as well( Paris, KY population 9700+ ). That animal clearly doesn't have the fear of humans it should and if not dealt with will become even more dangerous as it loses all fear.

As the man from Texas says once any predator becomes comfortable around humans it will keep coming back and even more so with a predator that has a defined range like a Mountain Lion. While I agree it seems a shame to have shot it if it had not done any damage yet I also see the reason for it as far as preventing future harm.

We aren't talking a Mountain Lion on some remote farm in the wilderness or up a tree 200 miles from any humans. It appears the animal was not far from a city/town with close to 10,000 people which means a lot kids. Just not good people. That animal had no place where it was and, yes, children at risk is a very real danger! Just this past September a Mountain Lion grabbed a 6 year old boy in California who was hiking with his parents. Right in broad daylight.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/07/mountain-lion-attack-cupertino-california_n_5781858.html

Do you wait for a predator in an area with kids to actually hurt/kill one before you deal with it? Not me. I wager some of you saying that concern is overblown would be the 1st ones hollering and blaming officials if it was your kid who was injured, or worse, if they knew a dangerous predator was around and didn't deal with it.

As far as relocating the animal. I agree that would be the best solution( if it works - the guy from TX says they return which I believe could happen - although others say it works so? ). However, I think you all are missing some key issues with that even if it is a viable solution. One is it was getting late/dark and the animal very easily could have got away in the dark plus a human should not be messing with a Mountain Lion in the dark. That human is going to get hurt if they try!.

The other issue I think people aren't taking into consideration, which they should, is if there hasn't been a sighting of a Mountain Lion in the area( or even state )for 150 years do you really think the Wildlife Officers have the equipment and training to actually trap one and relocate it? Be serious folks. You need the proper equipment and training to not only safely relocate the Mountain Lion but to keep the people doing it safe. I feel it is unreasonable for people to think this was a solution given the circumstances. That sounds like emotions talking and not reason and common sense to me.

It is truly sad that the animal was shot but I am not going to crucify people for doing so nor expect them to be able to do something they aren't equipped for or trained for.

Just my
49.gif

I couldn't disagree more with your first five paragraphs. Too many assumptions...guessing...fear mongering...and alarmist talk.

We've got plenty of Mountain Lions/Cougars in my area and the population density makes Kentucky seem like the wilderness. rarely do we have attacks of children. Does it happen? Sure, once in a great while. So what should we do? Kill them all because somebody thinks they don't have a fear of humans?

In Arizona, snakes and scorpions are dangerous. They bite folks all the time. They live right in among the general population. Should they all be killed because some child MIGHT get hurt? Why not go out into the desert and hunt them all down then? Geez.

Why didn't the guy just call for a tranquilizer gun? For 150 years they've been eradicated in Kentucky....and one lone cougar has the misfortune of letting itself be seen and then BLAM! KILL IT! KILL IT! What nonsense.

If parents REALLY want to protect kids.....try shutting off the TV, computers, and take away the smart phones from the little brats.

I too have children. I fear (far) more than them being taken by cancer, insect bites, human predators, car accident vs. a mountain lion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I too have children. I fear (far) more than them being taken by cancer, insect bites, human predators, car accident vs. a mountain lion.

Because you have sound capabilities of judgement.

When I was a teenager living in St. Louis I used to go to my grandfather's farm in Kentucky and always hunted with my cousin.

While rabbit hunting one day in a wilderness area, the dogs stopped hunting and were acting confused.

Behind us there was a noise on the creek bank and we turned around to see a wolf and three cubs.

I shouted to my cousin, "those are *&^% wolves!" About that same time they scurried off through the adjoining woods.

We told the townspeople and we were told we must have seen something else. We called the Conservation Dept. and were told there were no wolves in Kentucky nor had any been released.

About 3 years later people started seeing them in The Land Between The Lakes, a very popular vacation area.

A year later an outdoors journalist did some investigating and the Conservation Dept. finally admitted wolves had been released about a year before my cousin and I saw them. They had been released in an area about halfway between my grandfathers farm and The Land Between The Lakes.

SO, my opinion of Fish and Game and Dept. of Natural Resources departments is very low.

But I can assure you this: I never hunted again down there unless I was carrying a .357 Magnum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Roob

How much and what kind of tranquilizer is needed to safely nock the animal out? Was it even available to the Wildlife Officers( remember no Mountain Lions there for 150+ years ). If available could it reach them before it got dark and the Mountain Lion escaped?

let's assume it could have been tranquilized...

Once tranquilized did the Wildlife department have the facilities to properly keep and then transport the Mountain Lion so it and those involved were not injured? Relocating the animal would take time. Did they have the proper equipment to keep the animal until transport? Wild animals can die from stress in a situation like that if not cared for properly while held.

Once caught and safely contained they would have to contact other Wildlife agencies in other states to find a place to relocate the animal to. That takes time and also money. Most Wildlife agencies operate on a shoestring budget as it is.

I am not saying the Mountain Lion couldn't have been saved. It is possible if the personnel and equipment to do it were available to the KY Wildlife dept. With no such animals in that area for 150+ years it is doubtful they had the equipment or knowledge to do it safely for all involved however. IMOA.

I don't think many of you actually are thinking rationally about it. You are being ruled by emotions and thinking drugging it and relocating it are simple and easy. That is not an easy undertaking. You need people who know what they are doing and you need the proper equipment to keep and transport the Mountain Lion if and when you find a place it can be relocated to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kkreit01

Which is a reasonable way to think seeing as a Mountain Lion would be very rare around you. However, if you saw one on your property, or one was seen in your area/town, would you feel the same after? When your kids were outside would you have any concern? I think we know the answer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I couldn't disagree more with your first five paragraphs. Too many assumptions...guessing...fear mongering...and alarmist talk.

That's ok. You usually disagree with me. No problem.
grin.gif

We've got plenty of Mountain Lions/Cougars in my area and the population density makes Kentucky seem like the wilderness. rarely do we have attacks of children. Does it happen? Sure, once in a great while. So what should we do? Kill them all because somebody thinks they don't have a fear of humans

In Arizona, snakes and scorpions are dangerous. They bite folks all the time. They live right in among the general population. Should they all be killed because some child MIGHT get hurt? Why not go out into the desert and hunt them all down then? Geez.

I would imagine if you talked to the parents of the children attacked they would want something done( if the animal attacking the kids was close to human population areas ). I imagine if it was your kids attacked, near your home or town, you would want something done about THAT particular animal.

I am talking about a Mountain Lion found on a home property that was located next to a town of near 10,000 people. The animal clearly has less fear of humans than it should. That is a potential problem animal and IMO better to deal with it BEFORE it harms anyone. I am not taking about killing ALL Mountain Lions. Man what an exaggeration of what I posted.

So now we are comparing a Mountain Lion to snakes and scorpions? Ok if you want. If I found a poisonous snake or a scorpion on my property, yes, I would kill it. With or without kids. I would do so to protect me, my kids( if I had any ), my pets, etc... No, I would not go out into the desert to kill them all. Again, an over exaggeration of what I said.

I never advocated killing ALL Mountain Lions. I even said I felt bad that one was. I have no problems however with taking out dangerous animals in populated areas that are or could be a threat to the people there. If you disagree that is your right.

Why didn't the guy just call for a tranquilizer gun? For 150 years they've been eradicated in Kentucky....and one lone cougar has the misfortune of letting itself be seen and then BLAM! KILL IT! KILL IT! What nonsense.

Why indeed? Could it be one was not available? If one was did they know what type of drug to use, and at what dosage level, so it didn't kill the animal? No such animals around the area for 150+ years and you expect them to be prepared to tranquilize one, capture it, and relocate it at the drop of a hat? That seems unreasonable to me. Remember as well that it was very late in the day and once dark the animal could escape easily so they had to make a snap decision before it disappeared.

If they had been able to capture it are they then prepared to SAFELY keep it and then SAFELY transport it for relocation after? If not then what good does knocking it out do? And, unless it can be relocated a LONG way away to a whole different state it may well be back as those animals are territorial so it could return.

You have vastly overreacted to what I posted and you are the one making assumptions and guesses. You keep saying I want to kill ALL when I was specific to the incident and the one animal and even said it was s shame. You also assume and guess that the Wildlife department was equipped and trained to capture and properly keep/relocate the animal as well.

Relax man. You are way off base. I am not some kill monger.

If parents REALLY want to protect kids.....try shutting off the TV, computers, and take away the smart phones from the little brats.

While agree with the sentiment of kids spend too much time indoors with technology today those things hardly compare to the risk of or damage from a Mountain Lion attack. Wow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Roob

How much and what kind of tranquilizer is needed to safely nock the animal out? Was it even available to the Wildlife Officers( remember no Mountain Lions there for 150+ years ). If available could it reach them before it got dark and the Mountain Lion escaped?

let's assume it could have been tranquilized...

Once tranquilized did the Wildlife department have the facilities to properly keep and then transport the Mountain Lion so it and those involved were not injured? Relocating the animal would take time. Did they have the proper equipment to keep the animal until transport? Wild animals can die from stress in a situation like that if not cared for properly while held.

Once caught and safely contained they would have to contact other Wildlife agencies in other states to find a place to relocate the animal to. That takes time and also money. Most Wildlife agencies operate on a shoestring budget as it is.

I am not saying the Mountain Lion couldn't have been saved. It is possible if the personnel and equipment to do it were available to the KY Wildlife dept. With no such animals in that area for 150+ years it is doubtful they had the equipment or knowledge to do it safely for all involved however. IMOA.

I don't think many of you actually are thinking rationally about it. You are being ruled by emotions and thinking drugging it and relocating it are simple and easy. That is not an easy undertaking. You need people who know what they are doing and you need the proper equipment to keep and transport the Mountain Lion if and when you find a place it can be relocated to.

I really think irrationality takes effect when one automatically reacts to fear by killing.

Any wildlife department of any state that does not have the capability to tranquilize a medium size mammal.....isn't prepared to perform the job they are paid to do. Bears exist in Kentucky I assume? They should certainly have the ability and equipment to drug one, right? This animal should not have been killed without a reasonable assumption that it intended or was in the act of attacking a human. Fear isn't a good enough reason to kill an animal.

And just for the record...I am not an animal activist freak. I just can't understand nor accept the killing of an animal (especially one as rare in Kentucky as a cougar is) for no other reason that what it MIGHT do.

Looked into this out of idle curiousity, and apparently one was killed in Arkansas, last month, by a non resident deer hunter, the first in over thirty years.

So Game and Fish now concedes they're here, just not a "breeding population". Apparently people reporting cubs is insufficient, they need a picture or a carcass.

Wouldn't surprise me if they've been reintroduced, which I'm OK with. We have lots of wilderness, lots more rugged terrain, and an out of control deer and hog population. The Bears that were reintroduced have done well enough to get a season on them.

I am chuckling at certain suggestions that those of us questioning the shoot first response aren't thinking rationally and are being ruled by emotions.

We have a cabin in the northwoods of Minnesota. We routinely have wildlife visitors, including wolves and bear. I also have two young children. Do I worry about their overall safety with those facts in mind? No. Instead, I use it as an opportunity to teach my kids about wildlife, and how to respect and live with it.

I respect the fact that it had been 150 years since supposedly seeing one. I question whether the lion was actually threatening anybody, and if left alone would have moved on. Note that it had been chased into two different trees by barking dogs. Note also the original article pointed out the actual statistics. Your odds of being killed by a bee sting or being hit by lightning are higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back