Rare earth magnets vs oil addpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This maybe a silly question..but here goes..

Planning to add a Bar Magnet, Rare-Earth Metal Neodymium - 60 x 10 x 3 mm and just slap it on the oil filter housing at my next OCI.

Why..?? because seems like a pretty simple way grab nasty stuff..

Has anyone heard of strong magnetic field, if they can affect the addpack in the oil?
I wouldn't thing so...but.. thought I'd throw it out there..
Cheers
J.

I think we've had this question before. Think the response was add packs do not contain ferrous metals so shouldn't be affected by a magnetic field.

Thing is, oil wooshes through an oil filter pretty fast and I'd think the stream of oil would be stronger than the magnetic attraction and wash the any debris away that might accumulate on the inside of the filter where the magnetic field is strongest.

No, wont affect it and adding a magnet to me, makes just good common sense. More so to the typical person in these forums who actually pay attention to oil and filter quality, UOAs and everything in-between.

I use goldplug magnetic oil pan plugs on some of my vehicles, for no other reason then just because and darn they are powerful.

years ago, on my Yamaha motorcycle, I was AMAZED at the crap that came out on the magnet the first two oil changes or so, the engine oil shared the sump with the transmission and literately shards of metal came out on the magnet. I still may have photos, assumed this metal was laying around the bottom of the pan for a long time.

Magnetic plugs came standard on my Harley Road King but swapped it out to the more powerful Goldplug, I also have one on my Dodge Durango. No shards of metal like the previous Yamaha, mostly just a coating of magnetic dust every oil change.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.. yes i am trying to increase the efficiency in the use of magnetism.
I have the standard oil drain plugs and added a small RE mag on the plug itself, and always found some "dust like " [ for the lack of a better description...]
residue on the magnet... we are all familiar with that scenario at OCI time im convinced..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
No, wont affect it and adding a magnet to me, makes just good common sense. More so to the typical person in these forums who actually pay attention to oil and filter quality, UOAs and everything in-between.

I use goldplug magnetic oil pan plugs on some of my vehicles, for no other reason then just because and darn they are powerful.

years ago, on my Yamaha motorcycle, I was AMAZED at the crap that came out on the magnet the first two oil changes or so, the engine oil shared the sump with the transmission and literately shards of metal came out on the magnet. I still may have photos, assumed this metal was laying around the bottom of the pan for a long time.

Magnetic plugs came standard on my Harley Road King but swapped it out to the more powerful Goldplug, I also have one on my Dodge Durango. No shards of metal like the previous Yamaha, mostly just a coating of magnetic dust every oil change.

Did the magnet drain plugs " clear up " after the engine was broke in ?

Thanks , :)

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

I would suspect a magnetic drain plug on a wet clutch, shared sump motorcycle will catch more debris than a similar sized auto engine.

This reminds me that I have a Fram Ultra on my FZ1 that needs to be cut open and examined...

Originally Posted by deoxy4
I had the idea. Was considering purchasing half a dozen or so bar magnets. Are you considering a high temp magnet? Here are the specifications for the ones I am considering. They have a higher temperature application than a standard neodymium magnet.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY042SH&cat=167

No not considering those at the moment... i had seen those,but shipping to CA is outrageous...!!
got standard bars on Amazon, delivered in one day....
What am planning to do, is encase them in a standard silicone compound and create a "bubble" which can be peeled off and toss with all the road FOD it picked up and reapply..

Originally Posted by OldSparks

I would suspect a magnetic drain plug on a wet clutch, shared sump motorcycle will catch more debris than a similar sized auto engine.

This reminds me that I have a Fram Ultra on my FZ1 that needs to be cut open and examined...

There is always a dark gray to black dust on the magnetic oil plugs with every oil change on automotive engines.
You wipe the plug off with a paper towel and your done. This metal is obviously to fine for the filter to catch or caught it before the filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by OldSparks

There is always a dark gray to black dust on the magnetic oil plugs with every oil change on automotive engines.
You wipe the plug off with a paper towel and your done. This metal is obviously to fine for the filter to catch or caught it before the filter.

I just cut open the XG7317 on my FZ1. It has two seasons on it and about 14,000 kms.

[Linked Image]

Magnets in the pan and directly in the flow make the most since to me. There are small high temp neodymium magnets that can stick to the base plate between the holes. Think in some cases a magnetic ring can be placed around the face plate as well.

Hi temp neodymium magnets are named 'SH' grade and they can withstand temp up to 150 deg C, but their attractive force is up to 42, not 52 grade. I use the same magnet 10 years now in my motorcycle oil pan bolt externally and powder still is trapped there..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back