Rare earth magnets on transmission pan and differential casing.

Considering to add a couple of stacked strong magnets to the outside of the casing and the pan to catch the metal shavings. Any ideas on effectiveness of this? I'm not worried about vibrations jarring them loose because I have lockout magnetic key holders on both my cars that have never fallen off in 8 years. Thanks.

It should work. The transmission pan on my E350, and my previous SL550, has two magnets in the inside. When I do fluid changes, there is a fair amount of a super fine sludge on the magnets, so they are clearly doing their job. I would think that putting magnets on the outside of the pan should give you similar results. As you say, they aren't going anywhere.

I also am a proponent of magnets on filters, drain plugs and transmission cases. Can't hurt and as the current scientific consensus confirms regarding at least magnets and ferrous materials;

science.jpg

I also am a proponent of magnets on filters, drain plugs and transmission cases. Can't hurt and as the current scientific consensus confirms regarding at least magnets and ferrous materials;

View attachment 109522

Magnets on oil filters? Never even thought of that. Seems like it would make the filter work more effectively and more metallic sludge is removed with the filter instead of staying inside the system. NICE!

I don't know one way or another, but the argument against magnets on engine oil filters is that the magnet magnetizes fine metal particles pumped through the filter and the magnetized particles could settle on steel bearing surfaces, like crankshaft journals, and thus cause wear.

If your oil filter is allowing fine metal particles thru your oil filter, then what good is the oil filter doing ?.,,,
Exactly! That no good oil filter is always slacking on the job. It got written up at 1,000 and 2,000 miles. It's FIRED at the next OCI!! Thanks for bringing that up.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think what I'm going to end up doing is just to JB weld some 8 mm by 3 mm neodymium disc magnets to all the drain plugs instead.

I added an extra OE magnet to the transmission pans of both my Jeeps at the time I had the pans down for the first service. As long as they fit and stay in place I see no downside.

You won't be able to stick them on the case being aluminum but the pan will work. I am not sure if they are too strong how that would affect solenoid operationif you cemented them on the case.. It would have to be a very strong magnet to make any difference if you are attaching the magnet on the outside.

Last edited:
You should be able to get a magnetized fill plug for your diffie if it doesn't already have one..

You should be able to get a magnetized fill plug for your diffie if it doesn't already have one..
Probably, but for the price of one of those manufactured plugs I could get 20 loose Neodymium magnets and a tube of JB weld for all the fluid pan plugs on both of my cars plus enough left over for the spare drain plugs too.

Probably, but for the price of one of those manufactured plugs I could get 20 loose Neodymium magnets and a tube of JB weld for all the fluid pan plugs on both of my cars plus enough left over for the spare drain plugs too.
Unless they are placed inside, very little magnetic pull will be felt on the other side of a pan or differential cover. I tried it with an old transmission pan and a magnet from a magnatron found in a microwave. I haven't yet found a more powerful magnet than that. Cementing them on the inside of the plug will do.

As ususal I can't find the pictures, but I have a magnet on my oil filter and when I cut it open you can see the lines where the magent was on the outside. Didn't collect much but something was getting stuck in that area.

Gluing a magnet to an aluminum pan makes some sense.

Just sticking a magnet to a thickish steel pan is OK but the field is reduced.

PLUS some rare earth magnets, the field REALLY drops off with elevated temperatures.

Considering to add a couple of stacked strong magnets to the outside of the casing and the pan to catch the metal shavings. Any ideas on effectiveness of this? I'm not worried about vibrations jarring them loose because I have lockout magnetic key holders on both my cars that have never fallen off in 8 years. Thanks.
If those magnets ever get hit and knocked loose or off guess where all the metal on the other side of the pan will go?

Also neomodium magnets loose magnetism the hotter they get.
Which is why the magnets in trans pans are good old fashioned mags.

Back