Rant on Wal Mart Express Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I had to bring my mom's car in for an oil change at Walmart. Last time they did OK. This time though was a different story. The greeter was friendly like he was last time. But to my surprise the prices went up $10 and the option to just have the oil and filter changed was unavailable. I brought my own filter so they credited me back. I wanted the synthetic oil change with Pennzoil Platinum. The whole time I watched and the person who did the change almost slapped a Fram on there when the Puro that I brought in was right in front of him. I caught him in time. As I watched, the oil was still drizzling and he put the drain plug back on. He finished changing the oil and preceded to clean the winshield and do a hack job of vacuuming. OK he was done. I went to pay, minus the filter it was $38 plus tax. I paid. Then I looked at the invoice and my mom's car only uses 4qts of oil so the had that down but I was still charged full price. I saw that this was unfair because I paid for the 5qts of oil so I should get what I pay for. I went up to the guy that ringed me up and requested the one quart of oil. He said I don't get it. He said that it was up to 5qts. I told him that was cheating the customers so he immediately said that I can go get one quart and he would give it to me as markdown and said that he'll only do it this time. I told him I won't go there next time and left. Rant off. Is there anyone else here that would feel the same? My mom worked hard for her money and I believe she should get what she paid for especially with the rate of inflation these days. Also I was standing in the bay and I watched that guy carefully. He didn't do half of the stuff that he was suppose to do. And everything on the invoice was marked "checked". What a bunch of B-S.

Best to just change your mom's oil for her, ACManiac. Just about any auto parts store will take the old oil to be recycled, so it's not that big of a deal.

Moral of the story, change the oil yourself. I have never been satisfied with quik lube places and will never take my car to one, I don't care if I am reduced to crawling under my car at a gas station.

However, in this instance it comes down to reading the fine print. When you go there, you never pay for the oil, you pay for the conviencance. So, even though they did not use all five quarts, they are within their right to charge you the same price because that is what you agreed to when you drove your car their. Remember, the sign says UP TO 5 quarts, not YOU GET 5 quarts. The only situation that this would be differant is if you brought your own oil to them, then you should get back whatever you did not use.

As far as the Fram goes, its what they use all the time. Someone coming in wanting to use something else is rare for those guys. Remember, not everyone has the same oppinion of Fram oil filters as thoughs on BITOG.

With all that said, it sucks you had a bad experience. Next time pass on Walmart oil changes, I have heard nothing but bad things about that place.

Any kwiki-lube I know of charges the same for a 2.75qt sump sentra as they do for a 6qt jeep sump. I'd change my own oil in the wally parking lot before I'd let them or any quicky place change my oil.

Joel

All that seems standard procedure at any lube place. They are not used to people being picky, just the usual "get the oil changed because dad always said to" people. The 5 quart thing is again typical. Expecting a detail job with your oil change for $40 is ridiculous.

Dude! Its WalMart! You are having service done at a place that sells plastic toys and potato chips.

By the way, I just checked on the price of an oil change at a local garage that hasn't gone out of business yet due to folks getting service at WalMart. He charges $48 for up to 5 quarts. Your only choice is Bosch filters and RedLine oil! Do the math. I don't know how he does it.

Last time they gave me the oil back and they had the option of not getting the extra stuff. But my point with the vacuuming is that if you're going to charge for it then at least do a decent job if not don't charge me at all. And to be clear, when I had the guy doing paperwork I asked him about taking the oil and he said that they will leave it in my car, so that was what I expected. Maybe you could say that my expectation were too high but those are my beliefs that when I hand over hard earned money then I expect quality.

Learn to change the oil yourself. Its Wally World what do you expect?.

In the time it took you to take the car to wally world, stand around and supervise, than write this rant post you could have changed the oil yourself. I think you expectations are way to high for wally world.

In the 70s before the fast lube places were around, oil changes cost mid $30s at most dealers and gas stations. I'm betting that would be over $100.00 adjusted for inflation in todays dollars.

Most oil change places around here have raised there fees by $10.00 in the past year from what my co workers are telling me.

If you want someone competent to change it, take it to a small-time mechanic who doesn't have a quick change operation.
You'll wind up paying $60, but the guy doing it won't put on a new oil filter gasket and leave the old one in place.
Plus he might actually notice something about your car that needs fixing.
Otherwise, do it yourself.
BTW, you never get the "extra quart they didn't put in" at any other garage, can't figure out why you'd expect it at Wal-Mart.
About Wal-Mart: the only people in Wal-Mart who are smart and competent are the store manager, the optometrist (who doesn't actually work for them) and the pharmacist. Everyone else is either inept or waiting to get a better job elsewhere.

quote:

Remember, the sign says UP TO 5 quarts

And there is another sign that says......Over 5 quarts there is an additional charge.

I've never had any problems when I take my car to Wally World Xpress Lube for an oil change.
wink.gif

AsianCivicManiac,

I installed a Fumoto valve on my wife's Civic......and it takes 4 minutes to change the oil, no ramps needed. Just put a drain pan under the car and flip the lever. No mess, no headaches.

Hmmm...you're getting serviced from a kid who might have just been promoted from the shoe department and you're expecting quality service?

That's like bringing your own steak to a steak house and telling them not to charge you for the steak, and that you'll only pay them for cooking it.

I'm sure you have a very good reason for not changing your Mom's oil yourself; so let's hear it.

I've heard way too many horror stories about Wal Mart, and other oil change chains sticking on the wrong filter and the engine siezes when the filter flies off. Do you really want to entrust your $20K + investment to a high-school kid with a bad attitude? Those people aren't paid to care how well your car is maintained, so I suggest that someone who has a vested interest in your car perform important services such as oil changes....YOU.

The only time I've taken a car in to get an ol change was with a '95 Altima, at Midas. The only reason I did so was because I needed a tire rotation, and they had a deal for $30 tire rotation and oil/filter change....plus they give you the courtesy inspection.

To be 100% honest, I have never gone back, but I wasn't at all unhappy with the service. I was actually very impressed. The inspection was rather thorough.

But on the whole I totally agree....NOBODY cares about your car and safety as much as you do! When possible, do it yourself.

The oil was $20. You got what I would consider good to usual service for $20 for quick lubes. What's the beef?

quote:

Originally posted by Zesty:
NOBODY cares about your car and safety as much as you do! When possible, do it yourself.

thats exactly why i do my own work on my car. ill only take it to the dealer for certain things i cant do.

There are some Wal-Marts that are very good with the oil change. There are some that are just horrible. It all depends on who is working there and how long they've worked there.

In Wisconsin I noticed all the TLE people had +3 years of experience working there. I've never had a better experience with Wal-Mart's TLE there. They even got the oil level right (5.5quarts).

I come to California where all the people working seem to have started working last week. They botched my oil change (quart low - they put in 4 quarts), slapped on some wheel weights that didn't fit (I could slide them along the rim), and forgot to tighten my lugnuts (could move them with fingers). Sadly, I had to go back 2 times to get everything corrected right. - PRE BITOG days.

Now, I change my own oil and feel good at the fact that I put the right amount of oil in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back