Rant: About to leave my four year college

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP,

I worked for 4 years at an University, the same i graduated from.
The fact that i saw a lot of the various profs, TAs, auxiliary personnel, etc, behind closed doors or at various parties + the local place politics, changed my perception of the pedestal the teaching profession was on...
I classify them in the exceptional, the good, the bad, and the wackies.

Move on.
Life is too short to let the other crabs pull you back into the bucket.
In five years you won't even remember it.

P.S. I known of a case of post-graduate paying students, kicking a prof out completely out of a class because he choose to give them beginners class material and treating them as such. These where people coming at night school from high paying jobs who sponsored the improving classes...

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Best to keep mouth shut, pass this mickey mouse class and teacher, graduate and start your career.

The problem is that everyone does this. And it's the reason why we now have college universities packed full of these kind of nit wit "professors". If half the students got together and got up and walked out, every time one of these political crusaders started in with their ranting's, this would all stop in a month.

She's already admitted to getting the worst review since she started working there, just because 5 students who grew a pair, got a belly full of her and left. If half her class took a walk, she would be gone. Not to mention it would attract negative press to that school, like a wet dog turd attracts flies.

The more of this type of nonsense that paying students tolerate, the more of it they will get. Before you know it, you've got a campus full of these "Mickey Mouse Professors". Who are no different than bullies. The only reason they do it in the first place, is because they know they can get away with it..... Until they're challenged.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Best to keep mouth shut, pass this mickey mouse class and teacher, graduate and start your career.

The problem is that everyone does this. And it's the reason why we now have college universities packed full of these kind of nit wit "professors". If half the students got together and got up and walked out, every time one of these political crusaders started in with their ranting's, this would all stop in a month.

She's already admitted to getting the worst review since she started working there, just because 5 students who grew a pair, got a belly full of her and left. If half her class took a walk, she would be gone. Not to mention it would attract negative press to that school, like a wet dog turd attracts flies.

The more of this type of nonsense that paying students tolerate, the more of it they will get. Before you know it, you've got a campus full of these "Mickey Mouse Professors". Who are no different than bullies. The only reason they do it in the first place, is because they know they can get away with it..... Until they're challenged.

Good Point, we have a number of enlisted personnel and vets here.

What do you ya vets and active duty guys/gals say?

So using the same logic if your Drill Instructor calls you a bleeping..., one should just walk away back to their mother's bosom and show them that you will stand for the verbal abuse and the denigration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by stockrex
So using the same logic if your Drill Instructor calls you a bleeping..., one should just walk away back to their mother's bosom and show them that you will stand for the verbal abuse and the denigration?

Stupid comparison. You don't pay to join the military. Colleges are a private institution you pay to attend. And you, and you alone choose the courses you wish to take.... And pay for them out of your own pocket. You don't, "go where you're told". One has nothing to do with the other.

Administering strict discipline is one thing. The military runs on it. Anyone with an ounce of brains knows it before they join. Pushing your unwelcome radical political views on a group of people who don't want to hear it is another.

When is the last time you heard a drill instructor give a political speech? And I guarantee you, if you tried giving him one, you would be digging his boot out of your rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading the end semester assignments. One of the assignments is to go to two free speech events. Then write a paper over the event. These are some of the events I have to choose from.

-Professor Steve Hageman (Center for Student Success): "Free Speech, Sports, and Protest in American History and Memory" Jan. 28 @ 12
-Professor Steve Cann (Political Science): "Westboro Baptist Church Wins before the Supreme Court" March 5 @ 12 [Note: this is a Tues.]
-Professor Linsey Moddelmog (Political Science): Mansplaining, April 22 @ 12
-Trigger Warnings and Safe Spaces, with Professor Chris Jones (Religious Studies), Professor Louise Krug (English), Dakie Washington (Center for Student Success), Melisa Posey (University Diversity & Inclusion), & students—Feb. 26 @ 1 p.m.
-"Sticks and Stones: The Power of Words, What Can Be Said, What Should be Said and What is Really Prohibited," with Professor Jeffrey Jackson, Marc Fried, and Laura Bond from ACLU Kansas, April 4@ 2 p.m.
-"Public Squares or Private Platforms: A Discussion about Social Media and Free Speech," with Professor Annie Miller (Political Science), Professor Geoff Way (English), and Professor Joey Kendall-Morwick (Computer Science at Missouri Western State)
-"Watch Ya Mouth" discussion with the Black Student Union and HALO, Feb. 4 @ 7 p.m., Blair Room of Living Learning Center
-Harold Holzer (Lincoln scholar), "President Lincoln and 150 Years of Fake News"— Feb. 21 @ 3 p.m., Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center
-David Roediger (Professor of history and American studies at KU), "Who Freed the Slaves and Why It Matters," March 6 @ 3 p.m., Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center
-Jennicet Gutiérrez (Activist for Immigration Rights & Transgender Rights)— April 15 @ 12 p.m., Washburn A/B

Originally Posted by greenjp
You could probably learn something interesting from more than a couple of those.

I do need to take the Trigger Warnings and Safe Spaces class.
lol.gif
lol.gif

My daughter got an A on her paper writing about how trigger warnings create a false sense of security and leave students ill prepared to cope in the real world outside the safe confines of university life.

Originally Posted by Leo99
My daughter got an A on her paper writing about how trigger warnings create a false sense of security and leave students ill prepared to cope in the real world outside the safe confines of university life.

Good for her, and you. I found that most Professors would more or less fairly grade an assignment with a well argued and supported point opposing theirs...most.

Last edited:
You could probably learn something interesting from more than a couple of those.

It's clear he doesn't want to learn.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

I guess I just don't feel like drinking the koolaid.
smirk2.gif

Its college / university.
No need to get your feathers ruffled.

Again..... ignore mickey mouse professors teaching a mickey mouse course.

Graduate and start your LE career.

Take the broader view. These types of "professors" gravitate to the academic world because it tends to be the only place where they can get away with spouting their "stuff" in this manner. Keep your metaphorical head down, do you best to take classes from the unobjectionable ones, get your degree and move on.

Did we ever establish if this is a core class or an elective?? I'd agree with the idea that this isn't talk radio, this is a window in time for you to get your degree and move on. Personally, I'd have an expectation of running into professors like this just as I'd have an expectation of this being a loose analogy to what you might encounter in an administration of justice career.

If this bothers you to the degree it apparently does, then I think you need to step back and keep your "eyes on the prize". In today's climate, I'd be worried about espousing my views if only in relation to the money outlay to go to these schools...so the "pitchfork and torch" idea might not be the best tact if it serves as a catalyst for retaliation in ANY form.

Google/Wikipedia the backgrounds of the speakers from the Free Speech events and go to the ones you deem least offensive or more in keeping with your views. In my experience, I had a radical professor that reveled in you knowing how to learn and supporting your position even if it was diametrically opposed to theirs...and I had a thoroughly doctrinaire professor that will look at you as an outcast if you didn't tow the line...I'm not sure which it is with this one.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
You are paying THEM for an education. Contact the dean, this is unacceptable.

It may work once. Then when you take a class from another professor like this or a friend of the professor who got fired, what are you going to do? Complain again?

Seriously, if you think this is bad wait till you start working, people are NICE to you and then stab you in the back, and sometimes you have to do the same "for your team" in a hunger game.

This kind of consumerism mentality is why American education is not as competitive for the amount of resource spent. You pay to learn what you can, not paying them to pamper you like a princess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
You are paying THEM for an education. Contact the dean, this is unacceptable.

It may work once. Then when you take a class from another professor like this or a friend of the professor who got fired, what are you going to do? Complain again?

Seriously, if you think this is bad wait till you start working, people are NICE to you and then stab you in the back, and sometimes you have to do the same "for your team" in a hunger game.

This kind of consumerism mentality is why American education is not as competitive for the amount of resource spent. You pay to learn what you can, not paying them to pamper you like a princess.

Of course people are nice to you at work and stab you in the back, this is why you never fully trust anyone, avoid politics the best you can, and do your job. With that said, you can make your own breaks. It's pointless to complain about every professor obviously, but there is a difference between someone who just makes the class annoying (the OP's case) and someone who intentionally changes grades because you disagree with their opinion.

If you complain about every professor, your grades are poor, and you never go to class, then you won't get far. If you work hard, go to every class, have good grades, and approach problems in a logical polite way you will be fine. It works the same way at my job. I'm no nonsense and hate dealing with BS, but my company also knows I get stuff done, work hard, and they can count on me even when a system goes down on a Sunday night. The key is earning the reputation first before attempting to get what you want.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Alfred_B

I guess I just don't feel like drinking the koolaid.
smirk2.gif

That's one way to put it. The other is that you're squandering a unique opportunity to learn and experience new things (indeed the entire point of college), including those that may be out of your comfort zone or seemingly contrary to beliefs you currently hold. I mean seriously looking at that list, maybe the triggers & safe spaces one will be ridiculous but the rest are historical, thought provoking, or just a chance to listen to somebody whom I assume is from a different demographic than you.

And people say lefties are the "snowflakes". Good grief.
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back