Rant: About to leave my four year college

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madRiver
Do you call your Dr mister?

Next, if one person over a few months bothers you the real working world may a tough place for you. Part of college is different views.

For the last 12 years I was taught from an early age to be respectful of teachers. That included calling the women teachers Ms. and the men teachers Mr. Calling a teacher by their first name was disrespectful and it was known. A lot of students call her by her first name. I never even talk to her during class because I don't want the retaliation. The first and only time I have ever called her Ms. was on the essay heading. I honestly thought I was being polite to her.

I personally don't care what her politics are. I just don't want it shoveled down my throat for the first thirty minutes of an hour and fifteen minute class. I pay a lot of money to be there. I would have gone into politics if I wanted to do politics during class. Something that NEVER happened at the JuCo I was at.

Originally Posted by billt460
But students should not be punished academically, just because their political views oppose the teachers. Yet it happens all the time in colleges across the country.

Students are paying to be taught the curriculum. Not to be forced or held captive, in order to listen to daily rants by "professors" on liberal politics. All of which have no place in classrooms that are trying to teach everything but. That's not what students pay tuition for.

If you were paying for hourly flying lessons, would you want a flight instructor that spend a large part of your flying lesson every day, sitting on the tarmac, carrying on about his political views? You can't switch colleges as fast and easy as you can switch airports. These "professors" know they have a captive audience. And they make their students suffer because of it. Only because they think they are political legends in their own minds. Who are so obsessed with themselves and their radical political views, they think their opinions are worth more than anyone else's.

And for what it's worth, I spent over 45 years in the workplace. And I was never once forced to listen to someone's political views. So please tell me why should a student sitting in a classroom, who is PAYING to be educated..... Not politically indoctrinated?

I would agree with this for the most part. I have a few friends who have gone back to school later in life to finish up degrees or to get new ones, or whatever, and they complain about this all the time. Seems like its pretty rampant anymore.

However the best advice I can give to get through it is, treat your professors exactly the way you would treat a police officer. Tell them exactly what they want to hear, address them by whatever title they want, ascertain how much respect they want and give them twice as much, and whatever disagreement you have with them, tuck that away in the deepest, darkest corner of your mind until your are WAY out of earshot. You arent marrying this teacher/doctor/professor, you're just taking their class. Get through it, keep your mouth shut, and the class will be over soon enough and you can move on with life. This isnt the time for a battle of the egos. Play their game, it will be over soon enough.

In my professional work life, some of the people I show the most respect to, talk the mostly politely to, and have the smoothest interactions with, are people deep down I absolutely despise and disagree with 99.999% of whatever blubbering nonsense that comes out of their mouth. My attitude and level of respect I radiate towards these particular people is an academy award worthy act. If you cant learn to do this, adult life may turn out to be very difficult at times.

I should add that my boss, who also happened to be the plant manager at the place I retired from, and worked 12 years for, had a PhD in chemistry. I called him George. Because that was his name. And it was what he wanted to be called. Not "Dr.", or "Mr." I couldn't tell you his political affiliation, because he never discussed it with me. Or anyone else for that matter. He was too busy doing his job.

Originally Posted by billt460
I should add that my boss, who also happened to be the plant manager at the place I retired from, and worked 12 years for, had a PhD in chemistry. I called him George. Because that was his name. And it was what he wanted to be called. Not "Dr.", or "Mr." I couldn't tell you his political affiliation, because he never discussed it with me. Or anyone else for that matter. He was too busy doing his job.

You're missing the point. I call all the PhDs that I work with by their first name. But if there came a time where I had to address formally, I wouldn't use Mr. or Ms. I'd use Dr. Like if I invited them to a formal event, the invitation would be addressed Dr. xxxx and a guest are cordially invited to ______.

Originally Posted by Leo99
You're missing the point. I call all the PhDs that I work with by their first name. But if there came a time where I had to address formally, I wouldn't use Mr. or Ms. I'd use Dr. Like if I invited them to a formal event,......

No, you're not getting the point. This has nothing to do with, "being formal". This whole mess was initiated when the OP was reprimanded by E-Mail, for calling her "Ms." in a paper. Not in class. Not in the hallway. Not at a formal dinner party, or anywhere else. She was doing nothing more than fishing for an excuse to jump on him. And she couldn't have found a more petty one.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Well today I get an email from her because she was upset that I called her Ms. in one of her papers.

As I said several posts ago, this has nothing to do with what he called her. And everything to do with politics.... (And I still called my boss George when I introduced my wife to him at the Christmas Party. As did the owner when he introduced him to speak to the employees. And the company Christmas Party was as "formal" as we ever got).

Whenever someone as well educated as a university professor goes after someone for something as petty as this, there is always an ulterior motive that is in play. In this case it couldn't be more obvious, that it was his lack of acceptance of the constant barrage of her radical political views in her class.

If there is one thing these college professors can pick up on in a heartbeat, is when they're talking to a group, and discovering who is buying into their B.S., and who isn't. And they drop the hammer accordingly. This time it landed on the OP. The "Ms." was her petty excuse. The "D" was her hammer.

Originally Posted by dishdude
College (school in general) is a good representation of life. Just like your professors in college, you'll have bosses and supervisors you don't agree with but need to work with to make things happen, part of college is learning how to manage the situation and be productive.

This. This is only a taste of your future working life. You will be passed over for promotions/raises despite better work ethic and knowledge because you have coworkers who kiss up to bosses, etc. You will have lazy coworkers who hide behind other coworkers work. I've worked in offices and in construction, it's all the same story. Sometimes, things just suck and you have to get through it.

Last edited:
It seems that everyone missed the OP's original email quote from the professor:
I understand that in other contexts it may be a term of respect, but for people who have earned a PhD, it feels less so. I would prefer Dr. (name) or Professor (name), or honestly, even just (name) is better.

To me, that sounds like open communication and certainly not a hard-to-swallow request. Who knows, maybe she prefers the current trend of gender neutral pronouns, but she didn't go there. Her reply was pretty gentle and reasonable in my opinion.

FordBroncoVWJetta, can you bring us up to speed here, please?:

- What was the outcome of your meeting with the professor to understand why you received a D on your paper?
- Have you, like billt460 suggests, displayed any dislike to the professor about your opinions on politics being preached in your class? Any verbal or body language while in class? Are you doing anything that the professor is picking up on for her to hate on you?

I generally disagree that this centers on a confrontation that is all about the professor and the plight of today's universities. I agree more with the posters above that opine one has to learn to navigate life's ups and downs, and resolve conflict to your/both benefit. It's called social skills, which is much different than just manning up. You don't throw your radio away because you cannot tolerate Rush Limbaugh. You change the dial and navigate forward. Neither Rush or this professor cares where you land.

Maybe Criminal Justice isn't for you?

She may have full TDS, but that doesn't negate the idea that she believes she worked hard to be called Dr So-n-so. So even if I don't agree with her politics, kudos for her for advocating for herself and explaining why she is Dr So-n-so.

Really no different than if you called the judge Mr Such-n-such, only to be reminded to call them Judge Such-n-such. Or the police officer, military member who is to be called by their rank. I.E. Officer Friendly, Sergeant Smith, or Lt Dan.

If you cannot deal, politely with people who believe, think, act differently, is a prestigious law enforcement program the right direction for you?

I can disagree with her, or you, and still offer the proper honors.

Maybe you can go in and say, we got off to a bad start, and I'd like to apologize for using the wrong title. Then ask if you can get some guidance on how what would have made your work say B or better, and then just listen. Don't argue, etc.

Much of college is learning the standard and meeting it.

Not much different from working for someone once you graduate.

Much of what you learn is about how to deal with people and meet their standards.

background: At the beginning of the current 2018-19 school year I transferred to a more prestigious (for Kansas anyways) 4 year college from my community college. One of the only reasons I wanted to do it was because this college is probably the most respected criminal justice college in the state.

Well i'm tired of the campus BS. Every time I go to class the professor talks about racism, abortion,PETA, BLM ,or how Donald Trump misspelled something (she has a full blow case of TDS). Pretty much everything that doesn't have to do with the classes. Yet, I have never seen any of it. The professor talks about how everyone is marginalized besides white males.

Well today I get an email from her because she was upset that I called her Ms. in one of her papers. I have never had this problem before. No one has EVER called me out for trying to be polite. This the direct quote from her email. About the Assignment.
Please don't use Ms.

I understand that in other contexts it may be a term of respect, but for people who have earned a PhD, it feels less so. I would prefer Dr. (name) or Professor (name), or honestly, even just (name) is better.

As for this assignment, the materials were to have been from the last 15 years.
Ended up getting a D on this. Yet she never said what I did wrong besides it wasn't from the last 15 years, even though I still can't find that requirement from the assignment page.

I'm thinking about leaving it and just getting my 2 yr degree from the community college and being done with school. I'm starting to think college isn't what it was intended to be.

Am I in the wrong here?

I'm trying my hardest to keep this thread appropriate for BITOG.

People get so hung up on titles , my wife has a phd , she got it to give herself a substantial bump in pay . She could give a hoot about the title . She is prouder of her title of mother and wife . I'm assuming some of these eliteiest professors just like to exhibit their great wealth of useless knowledge , I notice it every time I hear them talk . No common sense .

School is mainly to teach you how to deal with ever increasing loads of BS,
If you can't handle it better get out your burger flipper and toilet scrubber

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Lots of high paying jobs out there without a college degree. The people that are burger flippers and toilet scrubbers don't have much to bring to the table.

Originally Posted by javacontour
If you cannot deal, politely with people who believe, think, act differently, is a prestigious law enforcement program the right direction for you?

01.gif

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Lots of high paying jobs out there without a college degree. The people that are burger flippers and toilet scrubbers don't have much to bring to the table.

Economy is strong now. In the next down turn the ones without a college degree will be the ones without a job. Saw lots of people get into IT without a college degree. They couldn't find jobs once they got laid off and the economy went south after 2001.

Have you asked anyone else in the class if they knew the material had to be from the last 15 years? If they did, how did they know?
You say there was no indication of anything wrong with your paper except that the information wasn't from the last 15 years. That's a big mistake.
You're too hung up on the title thing. Move on.
Back in the ole days we would receive two grades on a paper: 1.content 2. writing (grammar, punctuation, footnotes, etc. Spell check back then was a dictionary!) You receive only one grade per paper?
Don't drop out. Someone mentioned before that the degree doesn't have to relate to your job to make more money than someone else at the same job, this is correct.
Try to leave your emotions out of it and stay focused on your goals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by javacontour
Maybe Criminal Justice isn't for you?

She may have full TDS, but that doesn't negate the idea that she believes she worked hard to be called Dr So-n-so. So even if I don't agree with her politics, kudos for her for advocating for herself and explaining why she is Dr So-n-so.

Really no different than if you called the judge Mr Such-n-such, only to be reminded to call them Judge Such-n-such. Or the police officer, military member who is to be called by their rank. I.E. Officer Friendly, Sergeant Smith, or Lt Dan.

I guess Ive NEVER had a "Dr." as a teacher before. I thought calling her "Ms." was polite. As I have called every female teacher this for the last 12 years. I didn't mean to be rude, it was a mistake. I just felt that she was rude about it though. As for the polite part, its not like I went up to her and called her out. This was on a paper again. I guess if that make makes me rude so be it. I'm try my hardest to be respectful, but obviously you can't please everyone. I don't go out of my why to make enemies, just the opposite.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
To me, that sounds like open communication and certainly not a hard-to-swallow request. Who knows, maybe she prefers the current trend of gender neutral pronouns, but she didn't go there. Her reply was pretty gentle and reasonable in my opinion.
The gender neutral pronouns wouldn't surprise me. I feel like she was trying to be nice, but at the same time not. Hard to really know by writing sometimes.

- What was the outcome of your meeting with the professor to understand why you received a D on your paper?

Its spring break. I'll send her an email, ask, and apologize.

- Have you, like billt460 suggests, displayed any dislike to the professor about your opinions on politics being preached in your class? Any verbal or body language while in class? Are you doing anything that the professor is picking up on for her to hate on you?
Only thing I can think of is im really quite in her class. I think she knows because I don't talk in class unlike some of my other class mates. I have only said a few words ever to her. I thought that would be my best chance of flying under the radar, but im pretty sure she has picked up on me.
Originally Posted by 555
Have you asked anyone else in the class if they knew the material had to be from the last 15 years? If they did, how did they know?
You say there was no indication of anything wrong with your paper except that the information wasn't from the last 15 years. That's a big mistake.
No I don't know anyone in the class. She has the assignment details posted on her website, I don't see anywhere where it mentions this, again I will ask her. She didn't provide any other information besides don't call her "Ms." and it wasn't within the last 15 years.

If you do make it through the class, at least you can look forward to turning in an effective, well written post-class review of her. If the department chair gets enough negative reviews, a red flag will go up and she'll get some pressure applied to change. But, it takes time, often several years, and similar complaints from numerous students. It might makes sense to network with other students to see if they share your thoughts.

If you do make it through the class, at least you can look forward to turning in an effective, well written post-class review of her. If the department chair gets enough negative reviews, a red flag will go up and she'll get some pressure applied to change. But, it takes time, often several years, and similar complaints from numerous students. It might makes sense to network with other students to see if they share your thoughts.

Around February she said she got the worst review from the department chair since she started working there. Apparently "five Christians" left the class and complained to the department.

I guess Ive NEVER had a "Dr." as a teacher before. I thought calling her "Ms." was polite.

It IS polite. It is very polite. The fact she took it any other way is all but proof that she is not upset about what you called her. But rather her sensing you disapprove of her politics. Most people telegraph their feelings in some detectable manner, when they are forced to constantly listen to things they don't want to hear. And there are a LOT of people who don't like listening to liberal politics. Let alone having it shoved down their throat on a daily basis, by some whack job "professor" with a captive audience. Who has set herself up as some type of self appointed political God.

This kook has all but proven she is NOT title obsessed, but rather politically obsessed.

Around February she said she got the worst review from the department chair since she started working there. Apparently "five Christians" left the class and complained to the department.

She had better learn to shut her mouth, and do only what she was hired to do. Teach the curriculum, and knock off trying be a liberal political activist. Or else she's going to be pounding the pavement, looking for an alternate way to pay for her rent and groceries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back